+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question using old push button switches

I have some never used old push button light switches. The boxes state 10A/125V and 5A/250 (for the same switch). what are the dangers or pros and cons of replacing the current switches with these???? being that new switches are 15A

Default Re: using old push button switches

Unless you have a large number of lights on the circuit there is no problem. A 100watt light draws less than 1 amp. @ 120volt so you could have up to 8 100watt lights on the circuit and still maintain the safety margin.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yup, what Jack said.

If you want to calculate your load in Amps take your total load in Watts and divide it by Volts, or, (120) and that will give you your load in Amps.

Unless I am way off base their is no problem replacing a switch rated at 10 amps with one rated at 15.
    The circuit is still limited by the wiring & the circuit breaker/fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Unless I am way off base their is no problem replacing a switch rated at 10 amps with one rated at 15.
    The circuit is still limited by the wiring & the circuit breaker/fuse.
    True ... it's also the current rating that passes through the switch from the line to the switched load.

Another point, if I remember correctly, electrical components manufactured at the time those push button switches were manufactured were test at 2 times rated capacity.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    I have some never used old push button light switches. The boxes state 10A/125V and 5A/250 (for the same switch). what are the dangers or pros and cons of replacing the current switches with these???? being that new switches are 15A
    You can find on that there internet place UL approved push button switches and cover plates. Rather salty though....