+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pedistal Sink Gap - Answer this and help my marriage!

Seriously, if I don't get an answer asap my hubby is going to drive me nutso!

He tried to install a pedistal sink in our half-bath downstairs last weekend. We wallpapered first and there also ended up being some kind of a leak (now repaired), so the sheetrock was soaked. I kept saying not to do it until the sheetrock was dry, but noooooooo. He had to try "just one more time". So the result is that there is a gap of close to an inch between the top of the sink and the wall. We are not taking that dang sink out and trying again, so we need a way to cover or disguise the gap.

He wants me to drive around to different places that deal with sinks and ask how this can be repaired or disguised. Really. Not happening. So if someone here has an answer that could possibly help, I will be indebted to you forever. So will my husband, our children, grandchildren and future great-grandchildren. Divorce is good for no one.

I was thinking that maybe we could put up a chair rail. That might fix not only the gap, but also the rip he put in my perfectly wallpapered wall. Sigh. I am not sure if this will work and if there is a better solution or a product we can just go buy, please, please tell me. He wants to do this on Saturday, so I have two days to figure this out. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I tried to attach an image and it just wouldn't let me. Sorry.

Default Re: Pedistal Sink Gap - Answer this and help my marriage!

If the gap is between the sink and the wall, you need a plumber.

If the gap is the lack of drywall just above the sink, then your best strategy is to take the impacted strips of wallpaper off the wall ceiling to floor (should not be more than two strips), repair the missing drywall section with a good spackle, and then re-hang the wallpaper. This strategy also lets you address the tear in the wallpaper.

**Note sometimes wallpaper repairs are easier for weekend warriors if you replace the wallpaper all the way to the nearest corner as opposed to replacing a strip or two in the middle of a wall. This is due to the wallpaper expanding slightly during the booking process and the final width of the wallpaper can vary making replacing a strip with good seams on the left and right a challenge.

If you go to any store, they will look at you like you have lost your mind. They don't have to deal with this kind of problem.

Patience is the word here. Don't let hubby force this into a quick fix as quick fixes usually lead to long lasting discontent.

Option 2: Hire a professional wallpaper hanger. They are far cheaper than marriage counselors or divorce lawyers. Also, they have plenty of experience hanging around an installed pedestal sink.
    Last edited by TSF10; 11-12-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Can you attach a picture of the sink away from the wall.....If the sink is away from the wall it shouldnt be to hard to fix. If the sheetrock is short then thats another story.

I would suggest maybe heading to Victorias Secret for some nice lingerie that will change his mind.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Most pedestal sinks hang on a bracket and set lightly on the pedestal. My guess is he installed the bracket a little high and the sink is tilted. You should be able to lift the front of the sink until the back is against the wall. Install a spacer or shims between the sink and the pedestal in the front..
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you all for your suggestions. I tried to post a picture of it and couldn't.

For the record, if my husband would call a plumber all of our lives would be better, but it isn't gonna happen. He's at that age that he still wants to work on something like that all day, but just can't. After I wrestled him away from it so that the sheetrock could dry, he slept for four hours.

The Victoria Secret thing would work, but then we would still have a messed up sink. And another nap.

What I know is this: if a man is determined, he will try and try again. If he can't get it done, he just puts it on his wife's to-do list for the week. Hence my posting on here. So there you go.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by cucbabe View Post
    The Victoria Secret thing would work, but then we would still have a messed up sink. And another nap.
    Ah, but this would be the exact distraction you'd need to get a plumber in to do the job and back out of the house before the hubby wakes up from nap.

Is your picture posting problem camera related or computer related? (for pics of the sink/drywall, not the lingerie )
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Too funny... call a plumber, it shouldn't be too difficult to correct. I'm only telling you this because trying to cover a space that large will look too cheesy , you'll be disappointed or maybe your hubbie has a brother or friend that is a handyman and can help you out. Good luck to the children of your grandchildren.

Shaun

Okay, I have presented my hubby with all of the suggestions. He wasn't buying any of it (except the VS thing). I did check the sink and it isn't about tilting or using shims. He said that to really correct it, a plumber would have to come out, tear out the wall and redo the plumbing. We cannot afford that. Not even.

Since I am an artist, I am supposed to come up with a creative solution. Thanks. So what will probably happen is that we will put a chair rail up right where the gap is. The wall is only about four or five feet. It is just a tiny bathroom next to our laundry room. When hurricane Ike came through, it tore our house up. So we have so many new things. New roof, new ceiling in the kitchen, new siding, etc. The kitchen looks great btw. We actually tore out some cabinets that were hanging sort of dividing the kitchen from the livingroom. Since the contractors were going to be repairing the ceiling anyway, we ripped that down and took out the old flourescent lighting and it looks awesome.

The little bathroom had an old yucky cabinet and sink, so we decided to update it with a pedistal sink so that it would look as nice as the rooms adjoining it. So that is how we find ourselves together discussing this. We don't have anyone but us to do these things. I usually do the designing, paint color choosing, etc. Hubby does that hard work. He's a might bit older than me, so I get to call him a grumpy old man when he starts the cussing over his DIY projects. He did a lot of cussing over this one. Even the dogs scrambled.

So this weekend is when we finish the bathroom. If I am not posting on Monday, I didn't survive it. I am still open to suggestions. The photos are not the problem, posting them to this site was. I have a blog and post pictures all the time, so it isn't my computer or photos. I will try one more time. Then, I guess I am on my own. Thanks to everyone for the support!

He said that to really correct it, a plumber would have to come out, tear out the wall and redo the plumbing.
    I can see that affecting the pedestal, but not the bowl hung on the wall. Definitely would need pics to offer specific advice.

I have a blog and post pictures all the time, so it isn't my computer or photos.
    It's hard to say what the problem is if you're able to post images elsewhere but not here. If all else fails, post them on your blog and link them to here.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Pictures may need to be resized to attach through the forum upload.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb