+ Reply to Thread

Question Laying and Sealing Salvaged Flooring

I, with my brother's help, salvaged maple flooring from a soon to be demolished school this past June. I am now trying to prep it so it can be laid. What would be the best way to clean it up? My brother reccomends to clean up the edges, lay it and then sand and seal it. Makes sense to me but just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Default Re: Laying and Sealing Salvaged Flooring

your brother is 100% correct.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Thanks for the reply. I've tried scrappng the edges of the wood - it's tongue in groove - with a chisel but it's time consuming. Have you any other idea? If not, oh well, but if I can save time...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Superme63 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've tried scrappng the edges of the wood - it's tongue in groove - with a chisel but it's time consuming. Have you any other idea? If not, oh well, but if I can save time...

Thanks!
    Depends what kinda tools you have available.
    The simplest and best thing I can think of would be to clamp a belt sander in a workmate upside down. Put a 60 grit paper in it and use the trigger lock to keep it running then run your board edges over it.

You can try a plane but you'll probably kill the blade and that still isn't a great solution but one you can try if you have one.
    The sander clamped upside down is the best and simplest solution I can think of off hand. It'd go pretty fast and give you a clean job as well.
    Its what I'd do.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Just a passing thought if you go the sander route. Wear a good pair of gloves. I have a really funny looking left index finger with a nail that grows out at an angle. That 60 grit paper took about half of my finger tip off very quickly one time.

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Just a passing thought if you go the sander route. Wear a good pair of gloves. I have a really funny looking left index finger with a nail that grows out at an angle. That 60 grit paper took about half of my finger tip off very quickly one time.

LOL.
    Lucky you weren't using a jointer
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו