+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Laying Linoleum

Red face Laying Linoleum

I have what is best described as a WWII prefab house on slab. The kitchen floor is covered with synthetic/vinyl industrial type 12"x12" tiles that are glued down. They are solid and apprear to have been applied directly to the slab. Shoul I lay done the linoleum over them or remove them? If I remove them, how should I prep the slab?

Thanks,

Default Re: Laying Linoleum

I had one of those houses once upon a time………. I flipped it before there was such a term. Two bed, one bath, kitchen, dinning / living room, one car attached garage. The kitchen and bath were the major part of the remodel. The kitchen tile came up fairly easy and old, dry black mastic was left underneath. I never gave asbestos a thought but you might want to consider having yours tested. Anyway, I just made a template out of building paper to transfer to the sheet goods I used, spread the glue over the old mastic and laid the new floor.

Default Re: Laying Linoleum

If the original tile is still solid, you can overlay it. As Kent suggests, there is probably asbestos in the glue, so overlay would be safer than removal. Do you plan to do the work yourself or hire out the new floor?