+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Grout Cracks and comes out from between Tiles

We had our kitchen floor tiled with a fairly pricey tile. The tile has ruff edges. The initial job looked great but after a year the grout started to come out. I went and bought a latex additive, removed the grout and regrouted. A year later the grout is coming out again. We had left over tile and when we re-did the Half bath, my wife had a different guy, tile the floor with leftover tile. 18 months later the grout is coming up there too. Any suggestion short of ripping out the tile would be appreciated.

Default Re: Grout Cracks and comes out from between Tiles

Are the tiles sticking ok? Any of the tiles cracking? Whats the substrate the tiles were laid over?
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Its sounds to me like there is too much movement in the floor. Every floors moves and if there isnt a proper backer board underneath the tile and its is laid on the wood subfloor. it will move and flex and the grout is usually the first thing to show signs of this. The tile should have been laid over a cement backerboard or something new like the Ditra system.

Quote Originally Posted by camrye1 View Post
    Its sounds to me like there is too much movement in the floor. Every floors moves and if there isnt a proper backer board underneath the tile and its is laid on the wood subfloor. it will move and flex and the grout is usually the first thing to show signs of this. The tile should have been laid over a cement backerboard or something new like the Ditra system.
    With all due respect..even if it were laid over a proper backerboard BUT laid over improper subfloor than no bb will stop the cracking.
    A PROPER subfloor would be a minimum of 1 1/4" thick then in fact you wouldn't even need a backer board at all if you didn't want. The proper plywood would be sufficient. With that said...I personally always use a backboard whether it be 1/4" 1/2" or Ditra.
    Thats just my personal preferance but the fact is...you don't have to use a backerboard at all. Its just good to know all your options is all
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Actually, in any horizontal wet area such as a bathroom floor or any countertop it is a good idea to use backerboard no matter how heavy the CDX substrate. In the event that moisture or actual water seeps under the tile -- which isn't supposed to happen, but sometimes does anyway -- it can swell the wood just enough to cause trouble. Always remember & go by this timeless principle: "Water will find a way." Generally that means down, one reason all flat roofs leak, BTW. If you don't give it an easy way down, it will find its own way down on its own. Even past the best grout & caulk, sooner or later.

Backerboard can't swell, not even a little.

As far as this thread's question, sounds like movement, not enough to crack the tile which is stronger than the grout, but enough to crack the grout. If I were called in to fix it, I would first check the ceiling below. If open I would A) specify stiffening it with solid blocking and Type X, regrout with latex additive and see how it went, with no guarantee. If that didn't hold, say after a couple years, I'd see no other choice but to B) rip out to the subfloor, clad with CBB using Tec Superflex and hi-lo screws, then reset new tile also with Tec Superflex, and again, grout using latex additive. If not open below, I'd go right to B) and call it done. And pray.