+ Reply to Thread

Default Vermiculite or something else in attic crawlspace (PICS)

Hello,

I poked my head into my attic crawlspace today to see what the insulation situation was.

The house was built in 1909.

There is a little bit (barely covering the lathe) of black rock bits and old plaster lying in between the joists.

Is this vermiculite? Or is it something else? Sorry for the low quality photos--this stuff is definitely black and it looks like coal bits--shiny black.

If it is vermiculite, can I simply cover it with unfaced fiberglass insulation?

Default Re: Vermiculite or something else in attic crawlspace (PICS)

The shiny stuff should be dried roofing tar. Same exact thing in my 1910 bldg (don't think the age has anything to do with it) . This is because of my flat roof and slat roof sheathing. When they re roofed 5yrs ago, it seeped through the slats and onto my attic ceiling.

Sure does not look like insulation or vermiculite to me. Looks more like masonry.

Id forget bats and blow or spray that attic full.

It looks like broken plaster keys and mortar droppings to me. Probably black because it's dirty. I don't believe it is anything to be concerned about. Insulate over it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb