+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold closets!

Default Cold closets!

We have a dutch colonial style house where one bedroom has side by side closets . The issue is that these closets get quite cold in the winter. When you run your hand along the outside wall it is cold to the touch at the top half but warm at the bottom half. The roof wall is warm as well. I drilled small holes to see if the insulation has settled but it appears it runs the full length of the wall. Also, no where else in the house does this occur. Help, I can't get anyone to call me back to check this out and winter is fast approaching.

Default Re: Cold closets!

Howdy, consider looking in the attic above the closets to see if the adjoining wall has any holes cut threw the top wall plate as this allows a chimney effect of the heat into the attic= clod rooms. Consider spraying foam insulation in any openings in the framing members under the attic insulation. But if your attic has cellulose it doesn't let air move threw it. If fiberglass it lets air pass right threw it so plugging holes is a bigee improvement. an check the depth of the insulation in the attic over the closets to be sure it is enough.

Default Re: Cold closets!

I can check this out and by the way it is cellulose up there.