+ Reply to Thread

Question Removing wallpaper and paint is pulling drywall paper off

As we were removing the wallpaper in our Den the paint underneath was coming off too. The paint has bubbled and is almost like rubber but when you pull it off it's taking the drywall paper off too. We wanted to just paint the room, but right now we don't know what to do. Any help would be great.

Default Re: Removing wallpaper and paint is pulling drywall paper off

A certain amount of wall damage is to be expected when removing wall paper which is repaired by floating the affected areas with topping compound and retexturing if necessary.

I have outlawed all wallpaper in my house for this very reason! I have successfully re-skimmed areas of drywall and sanded to a successful conclusion... and I'm a weekend warrior, so I'm sure you can do it too. Recommend you put on thin coats of mud; it'll dry quickly. sand a bit and apply a 2nd coat and re-sand. It slows down the painting project but you will be so much happier with the end result.

It sounds like you have water damage, if the paint is like rubber then water has leaked in, I would check to see if the drywall is soft, I would check corners or the bottom of the walls, just push on them. If theres a lot of water that has been getting in it will give real easy. When paint shows bubbles it's cause water came in behind the latex paint, which acts like a balloon skin. If it is water damage make a claim with Insurance. HomeOwners policy should cover water damage. good luck