+ Reply to Thread

Default Texas Living - Great AC...not so good in the winter

My husband and I have a 3050 sqft house with 2.5 stories. All of our registers are at the top of the walls. I was told by an HVAC guy that this is usually done in hot climates since AC is the primary concern (and heat rises as we all know. Unfortunately, between this and part of the first story being opened all the way to the 2nd floor, we cannot regulate the temperature in the winter. Pocket doors enable us to make the living room somewhat livable but the dining room and music room are freezing.

Our options appear to be wide - from space heaters to replacing duct work. I'm leery of space heaters b/c we have friends and family with small children and I don't want to endanger them. An HVAC quote to re-do duct work was $6K. I don't mind putting in $2-3K but $6k is a bit steach for our budget. Any recommendations that provide longer term results with more bang for the buck?

Thanks,
    Chrissy

Default Re: Texas Living - Great AC...not so good in the winter

Another Moron....axzk1984

Default Re: Texas Living - Great AC...not so good in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
    My husband and I have a 3050 sqft house with 2.5 stories. All of our registers are at the top of the walls. I was told by an HVAC guy that this is usually done in hot climates since AC is the primary concern (and heat rises as we all know. Unfortunately, between this and part of the first story being opened all the way to the 2nd floor, we cannot regulate the temperature in the winter. Pocket doors enable us to make the living room somewhat livable but the dining room and music room are freezing.

Our options appear to be wide - from space heaters to replacing duct work. I'm leery of space heaters b/c we have friends and family with small children and I don't want to endanger them. An HVAC quote to re-do duct work was $6K. I don't mind putting in $2-3K but $6k is a bit steach for our budget. Any recommendations that provide longer term results with more bang for the buck?

Thanks,
    Chrissy
    Chrissy........My house has the registers high and I live in the midwest. Works great for A/C and okay for heating.
    I put zoning in my house and it works like a charm. If your ductwork isn't totally messed up, you shouldn't have to replace it.