+ Reply to Thread

Question Architect or Designer?

I'm interested in an entire backyard overhaul (pool, patio, modernize, hardscaping, pergolas, etc). The problem is my backyard is somewhat sloped, and there's already existing fences, a patio, deck, bushes, and the like. As money is always a concern, I'd like an overall "blueprint" for what my backyard will look like in 5-7 years. Something to work towards. I'm flummoxed as to if I should hire an expensive architect, or if a garden center designer would be adequate, considering the pool and slope issues.

Whaddya think, as I'd love to start my plan!

Default Re: Architect or Designer?

Most pool companies have designers who create a pool to fit your needs and location. In addition to pool design, they will also design the surrounding landscape/hardscape for you as well.

Whatever you do, you'll want to start with the pool design and installation before continuing with other things because digging the hole for the pool will tear up the entire yard. Once the pool is in, then the surrounding landscape and such can be installed, just make sure that ALL of your electrical and water lines to the pool have been well marked before digging.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks. I had considered the pool company, but I don't want to a) be forced to submit to thier self-interested quotes, and b) to lack design options.
    I'll be able to finish one side of the yard prior to digging for a pool, as it won't be in the way of digging. I really want to start though, as I'm not sure we can stomach our backyard until we can afford a pool in a few years.
    I just really don't want to build something, and then 4 years down the road, realize it doesn't 'fit'.

A little advice, however big you think the pool will be, double that when laying out and doing pre-planting/landscaping. The pool companies I've worked with come in with a bobcat which tears up everything within a 15' radius of the pool, as well as the exit point when removing the dirt. The biggest problem would be laying sprinkler lines or electrical before the pool is done. Bobcats make very short work of these items when digging.

When it comes to landscaping, I don't know that there's a big difference between an architect and a designer. You're probably right with using an outside designer for the landscape and not the pool designer, what's more, you can probably work with your landscape designer on the shape, size, design of the pool as well, so that it fits the planned environment through your cooperative vision rather than bringing in a new person mid project who has to try to catch up with your plans and ideas. When it comes time to do the pool, then the pool company just has to engineer their pool to fit your requirements.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!