+ Reply to Thread

Default Footing drain is leaking water.

After a recent heavy rain I was cutting my grass and the riding moverís tires were coming up wet. Upon checking the area I discovered that the footing drain was leaking water. I dug a path of about four feet from the end of the drain to allow water to run off. The area below the drain was soggy. Since it had rained very heavy over a short period of time I gave the drain a change to clear any built up water. After about two days I still was water leaking from the footing drain. I called a foundation repair company and described my problem. I was told that due to the very heavy rain recently and the possibility that I have a high water table in my area this could be causing the water to continue to drain. Then it rained again and I went to check the drain and found that water was coming out quite rapidly. Again I gave it time to drain any built up water and after seven days I still see some water in the area around the drain and the area is still soggy. My home is built on a slope and the drain runs down from the back of the house. Checked the basement and do not see any water stains,swelling in the walls or floor. All the rain gutters have Polyethylene Slotted Corrugated Drain Pipe attached and are buried and run away from the house.

Confused as to where the water is coming from. Could I have a leaking input water pipe which is keeping the footing wet causing water be coming out of the drain? Home was built in 2003 in North Georgia.

Default Re: Footing drain is leaking water.

Howdy the draining of saturated soils takes several days to weeks. Sounds like you drain is doing just what is is suppose to. be sure there is a critter cap at the end of the drain pipe so no nesting potential plugging the pipe..

Default Re: Footing drain is leaking water.

Quote Originally Posted by theojw View Post

All the rain gutters have Polyethylene Slotted Corrugated Drain Pipe attached and are buried and run away from the house.

Confused as to where the water is coming from.

Could I have a leaking input water pipe which is keeping the footing wet causing water be coming out of the drain? Home was built in 2003 in North Georgia.
    One thing that would be contributing to the problem if the corrugated drain pipe is the black perforated type used for perimeter drain systems ( weepers. )

If this is the case all that water from the down spouts is entering this perforated pipe and is simply soaking the soil around the foundation ----- it would be like having no extension on the downspouts.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by canuk; 11-09-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush