+ Reply to Thread

Post teak door- how to preserve.

I purchased a VERY expensive front door about two years ago. It is solid teak and was custom made. (What was I thinking). Well it took six months to get. Door looks great. I am wondering what I can use on it to preserve the finish. I am in Central NJ
    So we are subject to heat in summer and cold in winter.

The place where I purchased the door has since gone out of business. My wife recalls that they had mentioned something about a citrus base as a cleaner and preservative. I was in Lowes recently and couldn't find anything. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a paste wax of some sort.

Default Re: teak door- how to preserve.

Marine supply store sell a teak refinishing gel. They may have what you are looking for.

You may want to consider sealing it with this teak sealar http://www.amegawood.com/sealing_teak.php

_________
    Networx.com

if its an entry door, it should have been sealed at the factory. just take note though teak is a very durable wood and is highly resistant to the weather, hence it being used for the deck of boats
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I put teak oil on my gates and side door. But ... I wish I had put sadolins from day 1. The teak oil worked very well initially. The side door and gates looked fantastic until the winter took its toll. They have faded to a mixture of teak and grey. I have to admit, I am not a happy camper with this. I would like them to be the lovely warm tones of teak that they started out with.