+ Reply to Thread

Question Stairs to Basement

Ok -- we are trying to get our house ready to sell so I want a solution that looks nice but costs very little. Then again I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish either.

Our kitchen and landing to the basement are all ceramic tile. Then the stairs to the basement had hideous carpet on it that was pulling apart. The carpet was basically a bunch of strings sewn together if that helps date it. Anyway, to get the house looking nicer, I pulled up the carpet. Well, the green backing to the carpet is still partially stuck to the stairs and I found the old original floor under it. The house was built in the late 50's so I think it is linoleum (could be vinyl...). (Just a note we already pulled similar stuff out of two bath rooms and assuming they are all the same stuff just different colors we already tested the bath stuff and there was no asbestos! )

Anyway, whatever this hideous stuff is on my stairs it comes down the riser and then "wraps" to the tread so there is not a clean angle there. My hope was to buy cheap vinyl tiles and cut them and stick them on the stairs and be done. But this angle thing is throwing me off. I have a heat gun and I can try to use it but I don't want to burn the wood underneath and to be honest I have two young children at home so I am doing all this work when they go to bed. I don't know how long it would take to remove this stuff with a heat gun...

So, my question is do you think it is best to get that heat gun out and try to get that stuff off there and then do the tiles? Or, should I get a carpet remnant and have that installed on the stairs? I have no clue how to install a carpet on the stairs so I am guessing we would have to have that installed and I have no clue how much that will run me.

Thanks!

Default Re: Stairs to Basement

I would just install a carpet runner. It probably will end up costing less than the time and material involve in removing the old stuff.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by zomiglady View Post
    Ok -- we are trying to get our house ready to sell so I want a solution that looks nice but costs very little. Then again I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish either.

Our kitchen and landing to the basement are all ceramic tile. Then the stairs to the basement had hideous carpet on it that was pulling apart. The carpet was basically a bunch of strings sewn together if that helps date it. Anyway, to get the house looking nicer, I pulled up the carpet. Well, the green backing to the carpet is still partially stuck to the stairs and I found the old original floor under it. The house was built in the late 50's so I think it is linoleum (could be vinyl...). (Just a note we already pulled similar stuff out of two bath rooms and assuming they are all the same stuff just different colors we already tested the bath stuff and there was no asbestos! )

Anyway, whatever this hideous stuff is on my stairs it comes down the riser and then "wraps" to the tread so there is not a clean angle there. My hope was to buy cheap vinyl tiles and cut them and stick them on the stairs and be done. But this angle thing is throwing me off. I have a heat gun and I can try to use it but I don't want to burn the wood underneath and to be honest I have two young children at home so I am doing all this work when they go to bed. I don't know how long it would take to remove this stuff with a heat gun...

So, my question is do you think it is best to get that heat gun out and try to get that stuff off there and then do the tiles? Or, should I get a carpet remnant and have that installed on the stairs? I have no clue how to install a carpet on the stairs so I am guessing we would have to have that installed and I have no clue how much that will run me.

Thanks!

You won't know till you try will you? Try it in the least conspicuous place. Might come off easily. Give it a try at the bottom step. If the wood only slightly scourches you could easily use a palm sander with an 80 grit paper to clean it up.
    For all you know after the stuff is up and you give it a quick sanding with a palm sander (assuming you have one or can borrow one) all you may have to do is paint or varnish the stairs. Might actually look better than tiling them...and easier once you're up to that.

Carpet is no doubt the easiest route to go.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I went to the carpet store and picked out a remnant. It will be installed on Friday. Thanks for your advise!

They told me that I have to take the curve out of the "crotch" as the guy called it. He said I should be able to score the laminate, put a pry bar back there and pop it out. He suspects that there is a wood piece back there forming that curve. Does that sound accurate to you? I hope it is that easy.

My hope is to get those pried out and then paint the area so I can drip on those stairs all I want and they will just get carpet on them after...

Thanks again!

You're going to sell the house, why not try just laying the remnant. Will the curve really cause a problem?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb