+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Convert a 3-way switch to a single switch

Quote Originally Posted by jcelectric View Post
    Funny how many have some odd ideas to help....they're trying.
    There is no neutral on a 3/way switches, there's one commun and two travellers.
    And I have yet to see a 3/way sensor in my 25 years of service.

I've explain to you how to do, wheter you want ot install it is up to you.

J C
    With the way you explained it, you have hot (the two travelers) going to the motion sensor and an output to the light. How does the motion sensor work with no neutral to it? No one even suggested there is a neutral "on" the 3-way switch.

By the way check this out 3-way motion detector switch.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 11-27-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here is the wiring diagram in Jacks link. They have identified the Common and Traveler A as the same termination point on the switch. I think what they mark as "Jumper" is also confusing.

One of the user comments in the link said they could not make it work. With that diagram I can see why.
    Last edited by NEC; 11-27-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added comment

There is a nuetral in the box, look at the colors on the 3way, it isnt backfed so there is (likely) a nuetral in the box. So ONCE AGAIN use the right sensor, the 3way sensor. I'm calling bullsh#t on this entire thread. Diy or Not you dont rewire a branch circuit to accomadate material you have, you get the right material for the job in this case .. a 3way sensor. Get the right sensor. AS far as never seeing a 3way sensor in 17 years in the trade..

heres one

another here
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Well,

I’d like some continuation on the subject. Because, I do not have an answer. Though I work as an electrical contractor and have been in the industry for a couple of years I never cease to learn something new every day.

Couple thoughts:

So take a good look at the wiring diagram I posted from the link that Jack posted. If wired the way the diagram shows there is only one true traveler. Traveler A is made up to be hot all of the time.

So lets say that you have a “blind” three-way. Say an L shaped stairway where one three-way is not in view of the other. If you wire it per the diagram you will still need to turn the lights on manually from the “switch” end of the three-way system.

It seems to me that you would be better off wiring two single pole motion sensors and paralleling the hot and one switch leg from the load side of each sensor to make the system fully automatic for both on and off. (Though, I do not know if the sensors will operate correctly if the load side of one switch is seeing a hot from the other.)

If the three-way is not a blind three-way such as a laundry room entry from a garage then I do not see much point in wiring it like the diagram and I would rewire it with one sensor and blank off the other.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Well,

I’d like some continuation on the subject. Because, I do not have an answer. Though I work as an electrical contractor and have been in the industry for a couple of years I never cease to learn something new every day.

Couple thoughts:

So take a good look at the wiring diagram I posted from the link that Jack posted. If wired the way the diagram shows there is only one true traveler. Traveler A is made up to be hot all of the time.

So lets say that you have a “blind” three-way. Say an L shaped stairway where one three-way is not in view of the other. If you wire it per the diagram you will still need to turn the lights on manually from the “switch” end of the three-way system.

It seems to me that you would be better off wiring two single pole motion sensors and paralleling the hot and one switch leg from the load side of each sensor to make the system fully automatic for both on and off. (Though, I do not know if the sensors will operate correctly if the load side of one switch is seeing a hot from the other.)

If the three-way is not a blind three-way such as a laundry room entry from a garage then I do not see much point in wiring it like the diagram and I would rewire it with one sensor and blank off the other.
    Exactly, you got it.....do it

Here's wiring diagrams for the Heath/Zenith SL-6108-IV advertised for 3-way wiring

It would appear that the 3-way switch is wired so one position is in parallel with the manual "on" built into the sensor and the other position is for motion sensing.

My question is how does the sensor get power with hot only connected to it, no neutral?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Well,

Couple thoughts:

Once again I am being narrowminded and totalitarian. There are, indeed as you point out at least a few good reasons to NOT use a 3 way sensor.
    this time I stand corrected
    Help us name our new Hidden Content