+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Convert a 3-way switch to a single switch

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwalks View Post
    Ok, had to wait to the weekend, but here are photos of the existing light switch. It looks like there is one red wire, 2 black, and one ground?

wellll, I seem it,it is interesting .where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by jkljkgf View Post
    wellll, I seem it,it is interesting .where are you?
    very easy...at one end, cut all 3 wires from sw., skin them and marette all 3 together. At the other end, cut off sw., marette the 2 wires from **** screw on to one of the motions wire and the other black commun wire to the motion...voila!
    that should work fine
    J C

Quote Originally Posted by jcelectric View Post
    very easy...at one end, cut all 3 wires from sw., skin them and marette all 3 together. At the other end, cut off sw., marette the 2 wires from **** screw on to one of the motions wire and the other black commun wire to the motion...voila!
    that should work fine
    J C

Dang Canadians anyway! Marette = wirenut in english......

Just kidding JC, welcome from a fellow member.

Smile Re: Convert a 3-way switch to a single switch

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Dang Canadians anyway! Marette = wirenut in english......

Just kidding JC, welcome from a fellow member.
    French canadian on top of all. Thanks for th info...

Now, I know here lately I have been becomeing a bit of a naysayer but ... this IS an easy fix ... get the right sensor. Why would you rewire the circuit to add the wrong sensor? Am I missing something? You have a single pole sensor you need a 3- way. Get the right sensor. If you accidentally put regular gas in your volkswagon would you change the motor? just get the right sensor. Seriously, I swear it will work, there are teams of engineers that get paid to make sure it does. The wheel is fine how it is. You need a 3way sensor, then you dont have to rewire anything, just take one 3way switch out put one 3 way sensor in.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Now, I know here lately I have been becomeing a bit of a naysayer but ... this IS an easy fix ... get the right sensor. Why would you rewire the circuit to add the wrong sensor? Am I missing something? You have a single pole sensor you need a 3- way. Get the right sensor. If you accidentally put regular gas in your volkswagon would you change the motor? just get the right sensor. Seriously, I swear it will work, there are teams of engineers that get paid to make sure it does. The wheel is fine how it is. You need a 3way sensor, then you dont have to rewire anything, just take one 3way switch out put one 3 way sensor in.
    Can I take it that you are just maybe, possibly suggesting that a threeway sensor be used?

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Can I take it that you are just maybe, possibly suggesting that a threeway sensor be used?
    For a second I thought I was being to subtle
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

It doesn't look to me like there is a neutral in the boxs, how is the sensor powered?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It doesn't look to me like there is a neutral in the boxs, how is the sensor powered?
    Jack
    There's gotta be a neut based on the wire colors on the three-way. White/neut is carried in the three wire between the switches.

I think the real beouch would be finding a motion sensor that fit in the two gang box........

Me thinks another single gang would need to be cut-in adjacent to the existing box for a motion sensor or else I guess you could change both switches out to a decora style and use a select few motion sensors or have a plate made.

Funny how many have some odd ideas to help....they're trying.
    There is no neutral on a 3/way switches, there's one commun and two travellers.
    And I have yet to see a 3/way sensor in my 25 years of service.

I've explain to you how to do, wheter you want ot install it is up to you.

J C