+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face Convert a 3-way switch to a single switch

My laundry room serves as a passage way between my garage and the rest of the house. When I have my hands full (Carrying stuff in from the garage) It's very difficult to turn the lights on so I don't bump into things. I thought the solution would be to turn on a motion sensor on the switch to turn the lights on when I walk in.

The problem is that the lights in the laundry room are controlled by two 3-way switches, one at each end of the laundry room. The motion sensor I purchased says it does not work with 3-way switches. Is it possible to disable one of the switches and connect the remaining switch to the motion sensor? If so, what do I need to do? Or do they make motion sensor switches for 3-ways? ( I haven't been able to find one). Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Convert a 3-way switch to a single switch

Yes, it would be very easy to rewire one switch as an override switch to turn the whole system on or off and use a single pole wall sensor to turn the light on.

Go buy a single pole switch and your motion detector. Shut the power off and we can walk you through it.
    Last edited by NEC; 11-07-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Smile Re: Convert a 3-way switch to a single switch

Thank you!

I purchased a single pole Motion Sensor Light switch (made by cooper wiring). And I have a single pole light switch for the other one (although I'd just like to put a flat face plate over it if possible).

Where do I go from here?

If you want to blank the second switch that is cool with me.

You need to pull both switches out and tell us what color wires are connected to what on the switches. You will notice that the screws connecting the wire to the switches are a different color as well so tell us that as well.

Better yet a picture or two........ But not required.

or buy a 3 way pi sensor..
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Lightbulb Re: Convert a 3-way switch to a single switch

Ok, had to wait to the weekend, but here are photos of the existing light switch. It looks like there is one red wire, 2 black, and one ground?

Last edited by thunderwalks; 11-14-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: images do not show up..

forbidden links for me

The photos should appear now, I had an issue with my web server.

Copper Wire --> Green screw
    Black wire --> black screw
    Red wire --> **** screw
    Black Wire --> **** screw

You have the wrong sensor, deleteing a switch isnt the answer, return the sensor you have and get the right one, then follow the installation instructions within. Sometimes your best not re-inventing the wheel.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

this is an easy fix, but it takes time to descrbe how to do it on here!! you need to take a volt meter, and find the hot, the one thats on the common screw, the black screw.. the light has to be off when you do this.. if its at the spot where you want your sensor then that wire will land on the black wire on the motion sensonr.. we can help ya from there but find that out first... so im not wasting my time typing 4 different scenerios..