+ Reply to Thread

Default Kids clogging up the toilet for fun, best fix...

Well, my one year old is constantly chucking toys and loads of toilet paper into the toilets and then my three year old flushes it down for him before I get a chance to see what happened.

My 2nd floor "potty" is clogged up, will flush with plunger assistance.

I suspect that there is a hotwheels or something stuck up there. Would you advise that I take the toilet off so that I can try and clean this one out? What tools/brand should I use for this one?

Last thing I want to do is jam a toy further down the pipes into the system.

Default Re: Kids clogging up the toilet for fun, best fix...

First off -- I am not a plumber -- but since no one else answered ...

Plumbing always has the smallest waste pipe nearest to the end -- so if you can get what ever it is past the bend in your toilet -- it should flush out -- provided it will go with the flow -- a hot wheels car may not.

There are snakes that should be able to clear out the trap -- it is probably stuck in the bend in the toilet.

Taking off the toilet will work -- but is probably more work then needed -- I would start with a snake -- it sounds like you will need one in the future anyway. Be sure to get one that has a guard for the metal snake so that it does not scratch the inside of the toilet.

Bob H

Quote Originally Posted by Renoir View Post
    Well, my one year old is constantly chucking toys and loads of toilet paper into the toilets and then my three year old flushes it down for him before I get a chance to see what happened.

My 2nd floor "potty" is clogged up, will flush with plunger assistance.

I suspect that there is a hotwheels or something stuck up there. Would you advise that I take the toilet off so that I can try and clean this one out? What tools/brand should I use for this one?

Last thing I want to do is jam a toy further down the pipes into the system.
    In your case I would take the commode completely off the floor and try to get the obstruction out. While it's out check the size of the flush tube. That's the tube that runs from the bowl, around the back and to the bottom discharge. If it's an older toilet, particularly a Mansfield, check out your local toilet shop (didn't know how to put that one) and find one with the widest tube they have. Always replace the wax ring when you remove a commode. While it's off you might want to make a small flat bracket that attaches to the bolts on each side and extends outside the toilet an inch or so. A small hole in the end of the bracket will allow you to hook a bungee cord over the seat and cover to prevent more of the same. You can remove it when the ankle biters get a little older.

ha -- i like the bungie cord idea. i think i might take it off, because when i bought this house, i noticed that there was a $15,000 plumbing related repair on the paperwork.... don't want that to happen to me. after the kids are older, i think i'll replace the toilet since it is "baby sized" (as my grandpa has dubbed the small round bowl type.

looks like i will just buy a new toilet... the snake couldn't get it, and if i have to take it off, then i'm putting a new one in it's spot... only problem is... now i want to re-tile the floor and that's a big job.

Betsy Guest

Hey, there, Renoir.

Check out our new Toilets page: http://thisoldhouse.com/toilets

You'll find expert advice on unclogging toilets and drains, including a brand-new video of Richard Trethewey showing you how.

This should really help.

In the meantime, we've posted your question on our homepage today and asked other TOH community members to respond.

Good luck! I know how it is--my crazy three-year-old niece does the same thing!

Betsy Andrews
    ****** Editor

I had a similar problem when I moved into my house. I called a plumber and he used a snake to try and free up the blocked toilet to no avail . Finally, I removed the toilet, installed a new one and busted the old one. A toothbrush was lodged in the toilet and it wasn't going anywhere. I think the plumber actually pushed the toothbrush tighter into the toilet with the snake. My advice is to remove the toilet and install a new one. Use the bungee cord to keep the kids out of the commode.

the only sollution to this one is to remove the wc,everything can and will be accessable.
    use new wc bowl gasket (rubber or wax)