+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Whoa, major electrical safety violations

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Master electrician here and have no problem with it.
    I have no problem with a master electrician doing it.

But if some home owner sees the show and thinks all he needs is a fiberglass ladder and he's now safe to handle energized conductors safely, that's a problem. I frankly think that the electrician, and TOH were irresponsible airing that part of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge1289 View Post
    I have no problem with a master electrician doing it.

But if some home owner sees the show and thinks all he needs is a fiberglass ladder and he's now safe to handle energized conductors safely, that's a problem. I frankly think that the electrician, and TOH were irresponsible airing that part of the show.
    How about when Richard shows how to do natuural gas connections -------or ------- when Tom and Norm demonstrate the removal of a load bearing wall ------ where do you draw the line?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

no matter how safe every one thinks they try to be you will always have what you call real life circumstanses. and when put on video you will catch these. who thinks they can pass a full osha inspection with out any violations? we go home when we know osha is in the area. that is how sure we are and we try very hard to be compliant

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    no matter how safe every one thinks they try to be you will always have what you call real life circumstanses. and when put on video you will catch these. who thinks they can pass a full osha inspection with out any violations? we go home when we know osha is in the area. that is how sure we are and we try very hard to be compliant

First, We try to be compliant as well. We have a power-point presentation that every new employee watches and also a sign-off sheet for a safety manual stating our safety policy. That presentation now needs to be thrown in the trash.

I ordered and received a copy of the 09 NFPA-70E last week and on Friday began a rewrite of our safety manual.

I do not know how we could possibly be compliant. The changes are sweeping and basically require PPE for the most simple of tasks. As an employer it requires that we furnish the PPE.

How convenient that I was sent a catalog for PPE compliant gear and clothing along with the 70E............ $65.00 for a pair of compliant denim jeans.

How convenient that I was sent a catalog for PPE compliant gear and clothing along with the 70E............ $65.00 for a pair of compliant denim jeans.
    They must be fiberglass ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

First it is against OSHA reg (see below) in all the US. Second it was not necessary. Since he cut the wires before he spliced the power was cut to the house. This is a high risk practice without justification.

1910.333(a)(1)

"Deenergized parts." Live parts to which an employee may be exposed shall be deenergized before the employee works on or near them, unless the employer can demonstrate that deenergizing introduces additional or increased hazards or is infeasible due to equipment design or operational limitations. Live parts that operate at less than 50 volts to ground need not be deenergized if there will be no increased exposure to electrical burns or to explosion due to electric arcs.

Note 1: Examples of increased or additional hazards include interruption of life support equipment, deactivation of emergency alarm systems, shutdown of hazardous location ventilation equipment, or removal of illumination for an area.

Note 2: Examples of work that may be performed on or near energized circuit parts because of infeasibility due to equipment design or operational limitations include testing of electric circuits that can only be performed with the circuit energized and work on circuits that form an integral part of a continuous industrial process in a chemical plant that would otherwise need to be completely shut down in order to permit work on one circuit or piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Testaverde View Post
    I can't believe this even made it on to TOH! Does anyone know how many violations( osha,nec,state,and local)this guy committed with this "temp" service he has? I also hope the local power company wasn't watching this episode. In the jurisdiction where I live, if the power supplier caught me sealing juice as blatantly as this guy was, they would have definitely pursued prosecution! I am stunned to see this from a fellow master electrician, and being on television....***....shocking, to say the least!

Thank You,

Bruno T.
    Master Electrician, State Of Michigan
    I agree with the above.
    I wonder why the local utility company was not notified. Is this a common practice in Mass, as in not having the line de-energized for the time needed for the change over. Just run a generator and the wood butchers will be happy as a clam.
    Amazed at what TOH presented

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I agree with the above.
    I wonder why the local utility company was not notified. Is this a common practice in Mass, as in not having the line de-energized for the time needed for the change over. Just run a generator and the wood butchers will be happy as a clam.
    Amazed at what TOH presented
    I hugely disagree. I have done many a service change and have shunted the meter out. Three phase meters even have a handle and shunts built in. As long as I called the power company telling them I had a closed loop I have not had a problem in 30+ years.

I hugely disagree. I have done many a service change and have shunted the meter out. Three phase meters even have a handle and shunts built in. As long as I called the power company telling them I had a closed loop I have not had a problem in 30+ years.
    Must be a regional thing then. PP&L [the local power concern] in these parts will cut power and then restore said power when needed, no charge. Just have to get everybody on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Must be a regional thing then. PP&L [the local power concern] in these parts will cut power and then restore said power when needed, no charge. Just have to get everybody on the same page.
    How is power cut to a single residential service?