+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Whoa, major electrical safety violations

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    How is power cut to a single residential service?

Well, lets see....if it feeds overhead, the power co eithers cuts it at the pole i.e. the individual service connection. Or at the house depending on what needs to be done. If the service is UG, it will either be disconnected in the transformer if it feeds from one, or a secondary enclosure, again only removing the service to the single customer.

Master Electrician???????
    Last edited by Edge1289; 11-16-2009 at 08:00 PM.

I hugely disagree. I have done many a service change and have shunted the meter out. Three phase meters even have a handle and shunts built in. As long as I called the power company telling them I had a closed loop I have not had a problem in 30+ years.
    The utility I work for doesnt allow an electrician to bypass the meter. You call the power company, a crew shows up does the disconnect, you do your work, the crew returns heats it back up. Residential, $212 ripoff that the regulators allowed. Commercial 3 phase, depends.......

Howdy i cringed when the Electrician grabbed the live wires and strapping cable with a bare hand. Kids watch this show so shame on TOH...... Safety glasses are always referred to but is that the extend of their idea of safety... Boneheads! This needs to be addressed on a future program to warn kids to never touch these lines- including tall middle aged kids. Sudden death not addressed is sure more nasty then putting an eye out. otherwise. Shame Shame Shame.

Lineman's gloves and caution to never grab these energized lines would of been the professional first heads up!
    Has that electrician never seen a short caused by worn insulation on wire? Man turn the channel....

Edge1289's post describes the process to a "T".

Every place I have seen, for above ground service there is a fused switch on the pole. Takes about 30 seconds. VS if 2 of the wires had touched you would of had an arc flash that would have at least knocked both of them off the ladders. Melted all the exposed synthetic cloth. At least second degree burns most likely some time off work with burned hands.
    Last edited by rtparso; 11-16-2009 at 08:36 PM.

The fused switch controls power to the transformer, in some places one transformer feeds multiple homes.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by rtparso View Post
    Every place I have seen, for above ground service there is a fused switch on the pole. Takes about 30 seconds. VS if 2 of the wires had touched you would of had an arc flash that would have at least knocked both of them off the ladders. Melted all the exposed synthetic cloth. At least second degree burns most likely some time off work with burned hands.
    The switch for our utility feed is further upstream ( down the lane ) ---- so without knocking power out for about a dozen homes ---- how else would you do it ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    The switch for our utility feed is further upstream ( down the lane ) ---- so without knocking power out for about a dozen homes ---- how else would you do it ?
    See my first post on this page.....

Quote Originally Posted by rtparso View Post
    The fused switch is known as a cut-out box, it generally fuses transformers or primary branch circuits. Cut-boxes are not used to disconnect individual service connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge1289 View Post
    The fused switch is known as a cut-out box, it generally fuses transformers or primary branch circuits. Cut-boxes are not used to disconnect individual service connections.
    Ummm, yes I have a masters license. I was curious to how power was cut on a single residence when a transformer tap might feed multiple homes in different areas of the country and with different power suppliers regulations...... It goes beyond the NEC and is not really covered in NFPA-70E.

I would say that a lateral cut to the home is no more safe either by an electrical contractor or the "Power Company" as long as I follow 70E.

I would also say that fault current at a residence is seldom more than 10k and arc flash is minimal.