+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Whoa, major electrical safety violations

Gentlemen,
    I just watched an episode where our trusty electrician Allen hot spliced a temporary connection while he installed a new service. His caviler attitude was troubling. No personal protection, no eye protection, regular (non-hotwork) tools. ***! Norm would be outraged, “…remember there is no more important…”. In our area OSHA would be all over Allen’s demonstration of hot splicing. He repeatedly stated it was OK because he was on a fiberglass ladder. We won’t go into all the other ground paths he could contact. More troubling, Kevin was well within the arc-flash zone without any protection. The available energy from the service conductors is staggering. There are OSHA and NFPA standards that clearly outline the proper requirements.

I hope a future episode; perhaps, when he reconnects the new service will amend these transgressions.
    Dean Hedstrom, PE, Master Electrician

Default Re: Whoa, major electrical safety violations

The new 70E requirements are ridicules. PPE to turn off or on a breaker regardless of AIC? Give me a break.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who has worked on live circuits. Oh, and how about those guys working on the lines. Of course this is not recommended for someone who doesn't know what they are doing including OSHA.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What? No post about how Tom was using a nail gun to beat a board into place while framing that wall? It could have misfired and shot someone!

What about the homeowner that Tom was helping to install a sliding door who was wearing Birkenstocks and shorts while doing concrete demo with a sledge hammer? She didn't even have gloves on! Maybe those were OSHA approved Birkenstocks?

And while Norm does wear safety glasses when working in the shop, none of his equipment has the factory safety guards in place. It is noted that they've been removed for video clarity, but come on, what's more important, Norm's safety or getting a good looking video?

The point is, experienced people doing what they do with confidence are far less likely to be harmed than the average weekend warrior who's just returned from the local big box laden with big box "knowledge" and a copy of Idiot's Guide to Home Repair.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with the OP here. TOH did the public a disservice by showing unsafe and (in my area, anyway) illegal practice.

* The electrician was working live with inappropriate tools and safety equipment

* A civilian(s) was unneeded and in proximity

* There was no OCD on the feeders to the spiderbox

* The meter was bypassed - TOH has just shown everyone how to steal service

* As usual, Kevin was pretty but an idiot.

Regards,
    Jim Jim Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim x 3 View Post

Regards,
    Jim Jim Jim
    um, yeah, now there is a "tude"

Exclamation Re: Whoa, major electrical safety violations

I can't believe this even made it on to TOH! Does anyone know how many violations( osha,nec,state,and local)this guy committed with this "temp" service he has? I also hope the local power company wasn't watching this episode. In the jurisdiction where I live, if the power supplier caught me sealing juice as blatantly as this guy was, they would have definitely pursued prosecution! I am stunned to see this from a fellow master electrician, and being on television....***....shocking, to say the least!

Thank You,

Bruno T.
    Master Electrician, State Of Michigan
    Last edited by Bruno Testaverde; 11-12-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Missed some writing at the end

OSHA, NESC, NFPA 70E asside, I find it inconceivable that TOH would show Allen disconnect and reconnect the power co service in the manner he employed. I know electricians do their own disconnects and reconnects all the time, but to basically condone the unsafe practices that were aired in the episode does a diservice to the viewing public who may believe they can get away with what Allen did on that roof and ladder.

I am a Chief Lineman for an investor owned public utility. I have been a lineman for over 37 years and work on voltages much higher than 120/240 residential services. I would never, repeat never, disconnect a service in the manner displayed in the epidode.

Master electrician here and have no problem with it.

I got a kick out of last nights episode too. Norm, Tommy, and Kevin were all tearing out a door. Everyone was wearing their safety glasses with the exception of Kevin, who had them up on his head. IMHO, this sets a far worse example to the average Joe than an electrician doing something that no average Joe would even think about trying.

And no, I'm not harping on the fact that the boys are not always 100% OSHA approved, there isn't a one of us here that can claim they are or have always been.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!