+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting cast iron radiator

Hi,

I need to paint an old radiator. Its currently painted pink! The paint is in relatively good shape, although it is chipped in spots.

Ultimately I'm going to be covering this with an arts and crafts radiator cover, so the paint job doesnt have to be perfect. I just dont want the pink to show through the slats on the cover.

What type of paint should I use? Is standard latex wall paint ok? I want to do this easily and inexpensively.

Thanks
    Marshall

Default Re: Painting cast iron radiator

Sorry, once again I forgot to subscribe. They should make it subscribe by default! Or, at least make it possible to subscribe w/o posting a new reply.

Default Re: Painting cast iron radiator

Mcomisar,

The less paint on a radiator the better. Each coat lessens the heat transfer ability of the radiator. If you will be covering it with a cabinet, the best color is black. The eye will not see the dark radiator behind a screen or louvers. The easiest way to paint a radiator is with a spray can. Slip cardboard behind the radiator and slip paper under the feet if possible, otherwise, tape around them to protect the floor from overspray. A spray can can get the paint into those tight sections where it is very difficult to get a brush.

In any event, oil is preferable to latex for radators -
    better bond and thinner paint build-up.