+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's on your must-do list in the spring?

What do you like to do around the house in March (perhaps in prep for the warmer weather or just to celebrate the end of the cold)? Your answer may get featured in our issue's Checklist section (along with your name and possibly your photo). Please ask friends and family to send suggestions too. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Natalie; 11-05-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Default Re: What's on your must-do list in the spring?

Change the backup batteries in smoke and CO detectors and programable thermostats as we re-set the clocks; Check the batteries in emergency flashlights, replace/recharge as necessary; and reclean the gutters, flush the downs and inspect the gutters as soon as practical and before the advent of the spring storms and spring blooming

Spring yard clean up and prepare to apply Scotts Step 1 to the lawn.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 11-05-2009 at 02:31 PM.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Talking Re: What's on your must-do list in the spring?

I have a flagstone pathway on the side of my house in the backyard that needs to be relaid. I don't think that the person who laid it laid enough decomposed granite underneath and it can get pretty muddy when it rains. I also need to lay a french drain for drainage. When it rains, it floods on that side of the house.

In addition, I need to find out why my doorbell stopped ringing. I supect it is due to squirrels chewing on the wires.

Lastly, I replaced my lights in my bathroom this past spring. I need to put wallpaper in the area where the old light was.

Cool Re: What's on your must-do list in the spring?

Where do I start?
    • Replace entry way railing/banister
    • Replace 6 basement windows
    • insulate the walls of an unfinished basement
    • replace laundry room sink
    • misc. outside chores if ground is unfrozen by then
    • kill buckthorn
    • prepare crabapple tree for cutting down
    • other things I probably won't have time to do

What aren't we planning to do? Our spring to-do list includes:

---Painting the front door red
    ---Painting the porch
    ---Removing unsightly shrubs in front of the house and replanting
    something beautiful
    ---Planting a vegetable garden
    ---Removing wood fireplace insert and replacing with a gas insert
    ---Refacing the fireplace with natural stone
    ---Cut down some trees

Living in Central NY, spring means more like May - June, so hopefully we can get all this done by next winter!

My projects this Spring:
    1. Kitchen remodel
    2. Refinish wood floors
    3. Reattach shed door
    4. Swap dining room and living room

Probably many more as I get started on those...

I really only have one. I need to finish edging my planting beds around the house. I bought the house three years ago, and The beds were mostly overgrown with bermuda grass. I have one bed left. On the West Side of the house, I haven't actually been motivated to do anything with it either but it is my project for the spring.

Thumbs up Re: What's on your must-do list in the spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    What do you like to do around the house in March (perhaps in prep for the warmer weather or just to celebrate the end of the cold)? Your answer may get featured in our issue's Checklist section (along with your name and possibly your photo). Please ask friends and family to send suggestions too. Thanks!!
    Gosh, where to start! My yard is virtually bare from the street to the brick. We plan to plant a River Birch surrounded by Autumn Ferns on one side of our off-set entryway and use a couple of planters along with the ferns on the other side of the entry. A side yard is also bare except for leftover Nandina's, a lot of raised bedding plants and a stone pathway will be used in that area. And don't forget the "weed and feed."

Talking Re: What's on your must-do list in the spring?

Oh boy! Where do I start??? I bought a home this past March and after working on my last house to get it ready for sale, well, let's just say, I think I got TIRED. I have a lot to do on my "honey-do" list for spring. And living in a mild climate, in west Texas, the spring is a beautiful time to do the list: ("Time to Make Pretty")
    1. Replace rotten fascia and exterior trim
    2. Re-cover the cement steps (so the cracks will be hidden, or better yet, gone!)
    3. Build some shutters for around the windows and replace the old metal trellis front and side and replace with some pretty cedar posts
    4. Paint the house!
    5. Clear lawn and add some pretty spring flowers for curb appeal!
    Here is a photo of my house, as you can see the stucture is excellent, she just really needs some sprucing up!!!
    Thanks TOH for all you do!!!
    Jen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOH pics 001.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	2950  

Wink Re: What's on your must-do list in the spring?

Outdoors:
    Replace the deck railings and paint
    Re-seed
    figure out how to get some "Curve Appeal".. need bushes or trees
    Gut the back-room, replace windows, drywall

Plus all the endless day to day fixes.
    Your music is one-of-a-kind. Now your guitar can be, too... build your own guitar with our fantastic Guitar Kits. Hidden Content Hidden Content