+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Why are salvage items so expensive?

How come salvaged items (that would have been on there way to the garbage) are so expensive? I have seen door knobs for up to $35 and windows for over $200, with these price listings it seems cheaper to buy new. Is the high cost of salvaged building materials just a result of it being trendy right now????

Default Re: Why are salvage items so expensive?

Rarity and demand. While standard size windows are fairly cheap nonstandard sizes like those used in restoration are not.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I think there are a number of reasons, but one of the big ones is that the folks who run actual salvage businesses have to make a living, too.

They have an investment of their time to hunt down the stuff, retrieve/remove the stuff in a careful fashion, pay their help (if they have empoyees), pay for the trucks used to transport the goods, pay for the storage building(s), pay taxes, pay workman's comp on any and all employees, pay for insurance, etc. Running a salvage biz is a financial gamble just like any other business. If there's no potential financial reward, there's little incentive to get involved at all.

Individuals who offer salvaged goods for sale are usually just riding (taking advantage of) the "going price" established by the full-timers. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cool Re: Why are salvage items so expensive?

The Hudson Valley Materials Exchange ROCKS! And, they need help if they are going to stay in business, so all of you NY-area people check out the link and help anyway you can!

Thanks,
    Tabitha

Hey all,
    I own a salvage company inthe suburbs of Chicago. One of the reasons I opened it was because I was restoring my house and couldn't afford the stuff around town. For us we try to keep the cost of our inventory as low as possible so average folks can afford to restore with salvage. But like so many of you have said the overhead involved in removing these items is crazy. It takes skill and time to remove some of the simplest things. If you're looking for quality salvage at reasonable prices check us out at www.islandgirlsalvage.com We always work with our customers.

Thanks,
    Tab

Tab,

I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Chicago proper.

Which suburb, pray tell?

PS - You just made my bookmarks.

Smile Re: Why are salvage items so expensive?

While I have never been to a salvage yard I used to sell tube radios back when you could still buy tubes for radios. These were radios I would buy at yard sales and then refurbish and sell at flea markets. So you could say I had for a while a mini salvage yard back when recycling wasn't fashionable or even thought about. Now unfortunatley everything gets thrown in a dump somewhere if it doesn't go to a salvage yard. I say hurray for the salvage man or woman as they deserve a great deal of credit for what they do. I also believe they deserve the money they charge for their salvage. I think too that the salvage owners who have posted or will post would agree with me that like my radios that I used to sell their price is always negotiable. Where else too can you buy a great radiator for an old house for a great price! Radiators after all like what are in older homes are no longer made in this country. While I myself am not a fan of radiators I think some of them are kind of neat.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Tab,

I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Chicago proper.

Which suburb, pray tell?

PS - You just made my bookmarks.
    ****hiller, We're in Elk Grove Village easy access off of I90 or 355. Directions are on our website at www.islandgirlsalvage.com and thanks for the kind words!

Tab

Yup. Am familiar with Elk Grove Village. Or should I say....was. Haven't been there for quite a while now.

Perhaps I'll be able to pay a compliment sometime in the way that really counts......... money in your pocket in exchange for some goods.

Will check your site when a need or desire arises.

Until then......good luck to you.......and thanks for your preservation efforts.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 10-18-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Does anyone know of a salvage company in the Eastern Shore area of Mayland? I have a friend who purchased an 1940's 7 Bedroom , 7 Bathroom estate. He plans on tearing it down and building a new home. I was in it last week and noticed this home has a lot of old materials ( window, doors, plank flooring, tubs, pedestal sinks tec..) I believe there is someont out there who would love to have these kind of materials.

It doesn't have to be a salvage company. If you know anyone in that area looking for salvage materials, let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin