+ Reply to Thread

Default Powder detergent kill ants?

I

Is It true that detergents will kill ants naturally in your yard
    I live in Houston Texas and we havr these small Ferro like ants that I heard come from South America

Default Re: Powder detergent kill ants?

This is one of those potentially dangerous myths. Powder detergent will not kill ants in your yard, and it can do serious damage to plants, animals, and fish in the water where the detergent will end up after it rains. The best way to find EFFECTIVE ant control methods is to contact your local county extension office. In Houston you have http://houston-tx.tamu.edu/

Your county extension office is up on all the latest research on pests for your area, which is important for at least two reasons. First, the ants that are causing you trouble may be different from the ants causing your neighbors trouble, or that you have had in another placee you have lived, and the control methods vary for each kind of ant. Second, insects can easily become resistant to some kinds of control measures, and the extension office will be able to give you options to try if the first method does not work.

I guarantee it will be cheaper and safer to get advice from them rather than trying various home remedies.

Have patience--it can take 3-4 weeks to see a reduction in ant traffic. If you do it right you will be in good shape for the long run.

All the best to you!
    Last edited by 100876; 11-03-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: misspelled a word

Ants are the most common pests found in homes.Killing ants can be much easier,safer and cheaper than most people realize.The only chemicals you will use are dish detergent and Borax, or boric acid.Borax is a laundry detergent which is mixed with sugar solution in water.You can create an excellent bait to attract as many ants to the poison as possible,It is the best solution.

A trick I have heard of but haven't tried is to pour a bottle of club soda down the mound. The club soda releases CO2 which deprives the ants of oxygen. CO2 is heavier than air and will fill all their little passageways.

At least its non toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by ****member View Post
    I

Is It true that detergents will kill ants naturally in your yard
    I live in Houston Texas and we havr these small Ferro like ants that I heard come from South America
    Commonly called "fire ants" for the painful stings and swarming tactics used when the mound is disturbed. For organic solutions, check this link. Chemical solutions are available, but need to be repeated constantly. One of the better I have tried is Ortho Orthene, comes in an green plastic container. A spoonful sifted over the mound is usually effective. Many of the granular commercial offerings work as well. I often carry some on the mower with me and treat each mound found on the next pass.