+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaky Faucet 101 - Help Please?

I know nothing about how to fix simple drippy faucets, though I imagine it doesn't require a rocket science degree. My old kitchen faucet has been leaking for quite some time, and it's getting worse and I'm wasting water.

Seeing as how money is a bit tight (well, a lot tight), I'd like to fix it myself. I'm hoping someone here can tell me it's possible for me to take care of this with the simple basic tools I have in my toolbox. I know enough to turn the water off under the sink, and that's where my knowledge ends. Attached is a photo of the faucet - it's a Kohler.

Any advice, video links, reassurance that I can do this? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faucet.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	2918  

Default Re: Leaky Faucet 101 - Help Please?

If you go to Kohler.com and you know the model number you can see drawings and parts list.

Generally the top cap is removed. It may be a pop off or have a set screw. You then remove a screw that retains the handle and remove handle. Followed by a retaining nut and remove cartridge. Replace "o"rings and washers, possible cartridge assemble and reinstall in reverse order.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you. Do you happen to know where the model number would be located?

Maybe I'll just go to their site and see what I can find. I only have very basic stuff, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc., so I'm hoping that's enough.

p.s. I just looked on their site and can't find any info for a faucet this old.
    Last edited by mtngigi; 11-05-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added p.s.

I would suggest you call
    Call the KOHLER Customer Care Center at
    Phone: 1-800-4KOHLER (1-800-456-4537)
    Hours: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Central Time) Monday to Friday

There may be a lifetime warranty or they may have a e-mail address you can sent the picture for model identification.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb