+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Water in Garage?

This just occurred to me. You know what you could do that wouldn't involve any destruction, construction, installation or manipulation of anything? You could cut two or three saw kerfs into the slab about 1/4" to 3/8" deep that run the length of the garage to the corner of the roll up door. Basically, along the side of the car. The kerfs would not affect the integrity of the slab, yet would provide barriers for the little bit of water we're talking about. Because there's no quantity or flow, this should be able to keep up with any run-off produced by the cars.

If this seems like a viable option, I will tell you how to go about it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: Water in Garage?

It's worth a try. What would I need to do?

You need a circular saw, preferably a worm drive, a diamond cutting blade, a chalk line, and a sheet or two of plywood.

I'd cut the lines somewhere near where the tip of the side view mirror would hit the floor if you were to draw a plumb line down. This would keep the lines within the roll up door opening and out far enough from the car that they would catch all the run-off.

Snap a line from the front of the vehicles to the roll up door and lay the plywood edge on it, then park the car on it to keep the plywood from moving. The plywood becomes the fence to guide the saw in a straight line.

Install the diamond blade in the saw, set it at 1/4" to 3/8" deep and run it the length of the plywood. When you get to the end, slide the plywood down the line and continue the cut. From here you can decide if you want to cut a second kerf or see how the first one does.

It would be really helpful to set up a fan behind you to help blow the dust out of your face and out the open garage door. Make sure you're wearing a good, double banded dust mask and eye protection. Hearing protection would be recommended as well. When you're done, sweep up the majority of the dust and rinse it down with a hose.

Put your tools away and go in the house for a much deserved beer!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    This just occurred to me. You know what you could do that wouldn't involve any destruction, construction, installation or manipulation of anything? You could cut two or three saw kerfs into the slab about 1/4" to 3/8" deep that run the length of the garage to the corner of the roll up door. Basically, along the side of the car. The kerfs would not affect the integrity of the slab, yet would provide barriers for the little bit of water we're talking about. Because there's no quantity or flow, this should be able to keep up with any run-off produced by the cars.

If this seems like a viable option, I will tell you how to go about it.
    We used this method to drain a storage building and it does work well for small amounts of water. The kerfs do get clogged with dirt and debris, we give them a little extra care when sweeping up.
    Slow The Flow