+ Reply to Thread

Default painting brick fireplace in Craftsman bungalow

We just bought a 1913 Craftsman style bungalow. We love the original dark wood trim and windows. We have painted the interior rooms in Sherwin-Williams Arts & Crafts colors.

The living room, which we have painted Roycroft Adobe, has a brick fireplace. The brick is sooty, and an unattractive orange-red. We want to paint it a sandy beige color (Buckram Binding, to match the ceiling and adjoining hallway). We think this would brighten the room and clean it up, but we are torn about painting brick. How out of keeping with the original design of our home would painting the brick fireplace be?

Default Re: painting brick fireplace in Craftsman bungalow

We've wanted to do the same, but haven't been brave enough to do so.

If you do it, let me know how it turns out...maybe send some before and after pics.

Fast forward....... TOH Forums 2075.............

"The previous owners painted the beautiful brick fireplace. What is the best way to strip the paint off of the wonderful brick finish."

How about putting drywall over it instead, so future owners can remove it easily? Put drywall up to a mantelpiece, then you have less brick showing.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Fast forward....... TOH Forums 2075.............

"The previous owners painted the beautiful brick fireplace. What is the best way to strip the paint off of the wonderful brick finish."
    Sorry catching up..... this is a funny reply. That said, I wouldn't call our brick beautiful. It's not. I have thought the same as above...covering it with paneled beadboard, etc. It's one of those projects that I think about, but will probably never get to.

Talking Re: painting brick fireplace in Craftsman bungalow

Quote Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
    How about putting drywall over it instead, so future owners can remove it easily? Put drywall up to a mantelpiece, then you have less brick showing.
    I have often seen and heard this "re-sale potential" argument against every form of re-modeling....and it is all nonsesne unless you plan to move every year.

I spent nearly two years sorting through the highly over-priced Maryland home market and every single time I objected to the "Ravens Purple" (the local football team colors) livingroom wall, a snooty sales agent would tell me, "Just repaint...just tear it down and re-build...make it your own".

Most people live in their homes 10-20 years or more....regardless what HGTV says....so why not be comfortable? Make it your own! The next guy sure will ...so why not you?

How about a good cleaning to preserve the character of the surface?

There are companies that specialize in staining existing brick to a new color.

If you are like us, we will die in this house, make it your own. If you are like my brother, who moves every two to three years, give it a good cleaning. One thing to consider is that a house of that age has settled at a different rate than the fire place and there is always the chance that water is getting in, maybe just a little. Brick and mortar are very porous, and if you paint it, that water will have fewer place to travel. The end result is that the paint could blister and make a big mess. Having said that, should you still want to paint it use the following steps. Clean the surface very well with soap and water, rinse with a vinegar and water solution. Let dry for at least a day or more. Paint with a masonary primer watered down by 25%. Recoat at full strength primer. Paint with latex paint color you like. Remember the higher the sheen, the easier it is to clean.

448 West 19th Street Suite 442 Houston TX 77008

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    How about a good cleaning to preserve the character of the surface?
    I would also recommend this. Wouldn't it be much beautiful if you preserve its previous look? But if you are really unwilling to do it, try asking professionals for help.