+ Reply to Thread

Thread: deck fasteners

Question deck fasteners

I am planning to replace the rotted top of my 14' X 24' deck. (The structural part underneath seems to be in good shape.) I am going to use Trex decking. According to their web site, I can use screws, nails, or fasteners, such as the Tiger Claw. I like the idea of a fastener such as the Tiger Claw because you have no screws or nails showing. However, since the boards are fastened from the side with a Claw type fastener, what happens if a board gets damaged and needs to be replaced? Can one board be removed without pulling up the ones next to it, because they are all attached together from the side?

Lightbulb Re: deck fasteners

To replace a board, make two parallel cuts down the center of the board to be replaced. Remove the center piece. Then using a hammer and flat pry bar, carefully remove the remaining pieces from the prongs of the fasteners. Using a pair of cutting pliers or hack saw, remove the prongs on one side down the length of the board. Then take the new decking board and carefully drive it on the remaining prongs until it is in place. To finish, toe nail along the edge using finish nails.

Default Re: deck fasteners

How did you get on?