+ Reply to Thread

Default outside drain pipe

Our front yard is beginning to look like a V, so I'm assuming our ceramic drain pipe is broken. I'm thinking of grabbing my brothers and try to replace ourselves. Can anyone give me advise? epr

Default Re: outside drain pipe

The main thing I see here if you have clay main drain line that ties into the municipal line at the street ----- it would be a good time to replace the whole line.
    If you are going through the effort to dig up the yard there's no sense just patching a broken section when likely you'll have this problem again.

I can bet dollars to donuts you are required to get a permit for this.

Chances are the municipality wouldn't allow a DIYer to tie into the main ---- besides you probably don't have the proper equipment to do so.

You will likely need to hire a plumbing contractor to do the tie in however you can save $$$ if you do the excavation.

A couple of cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Are you sure that you have a problem with the line? It could be that when the line was backfilled it wasn't compacted and the trench has now settled. You might want to have the line video inspected to see if there is a problem that needs to be repaired. You may only need to regrade the yard because of settling. If it aint broke, don't fix it. If it is broken, I agree with Canuk, this type of job is more suited to an excavation contractor. I would also reccomend getting three bids for this work, prices usually vary greatly.
    Slow The Flow

Thanks Canuk, I appreciate your reply. It does hook up to the city line and I agree with you about not just repairing, but to replace everything.

Blake, I hope your right out settlement and not the line, from your mouth to God's ear, lol. l will take your advise and check out the line with a video camera.

thanks for your advise, epr