+ Reply to Thread

Default Cost of Indirect Water Heater

We received a quote for $2375 for installing a 40 gallon Superstor indirect hot water heater. Our hot water is currently heated by the boiler and it is very hot if not carefully regulated at the tap. Any feedback on the cost of these items is welcome. Thanks.

Default Re: Cost of Indirect Water Heater

That price is too high IMHO.

I recommend you get several more quotes.

Don't ignore fuel oil dealers, who are also licenced to install this equipment, and may quote a more reasonable price.

Superstor is a good IWH because it has the desired more efficient inner stainless steel shell, instead of just a copper coil, but there are plenty others out there.

I would also recommend Triangle Tube Phase 3, or IWH's by Burnham, Buderus, Crown, or Amtrol Boilermate; one of the Weil-Mclain's has a WM name tag, but is also made by Triangle Tube.

All of these list in my dealer catalogs for ~$700, cost of the unit.

My 1st choice would be Triangle Tube.

For the installer's cost for indirect water heaters across the board it has been for a long time $600-$700 for the heater; add another $300 for the needed circulator or zone valve, plus the high temp, high pressure relief valve, assorted valves, wiring, copper tubing.

Add to the materials cost the labor cost of ~$200-$400 and a very rough quote should be in the $1200-$1500 range.

Naturally, this figure will vary in different parts of the country.

An IWH install is strongly recommended; they are basically heavily insulated passive heat exchangers, with no burner or flue, so they don't wear out, last a long time & are a very efficient (low cost) way to provide all the hot tap water you'll need.

Amtrol tends to be less costly (internal coil); even THEY last for years, usually trouble-free.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 10-07-2007 at 04:27 PM.