+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GFCI Outlet

Question GFCI Outlet

Can a GFCI circuit breaker (in the breaker panel) be wired to a GFCI outlet. I have this setup, could this be the reason the circuit breaker keeps tripping. I always thought you could have one or the other, but not both on the same line.

The home builder installed it this way. The line only feeds 3 outlet in the kitchen...2 regular outlets and 1 GFCI.
    Last edited by PeterDe; 11-01-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Additional info

Default Re: GFCI Outlet

you should be able to do this. but try and pull out the gfi outlet and replace with a normal one see if that does the trick.

Can a GFCI circuit breaker (in the breaker panel) be wired to a GFCI outlet. I have this setup, could this be the reason the circuit breaker keeps tripping. I always thought you could have one or the other, but not both on the same line.
    The question is why would there be both ?

I've run into this before where a homeowner installed a GFCI receptacle in place of a regular one outside. They couldn't understand why the newly installed receptacle was regularly dead. They would go and reset the breaker but would happen again and again. Turns out they didn't realize the breaker was a GFCI .
    It seems 2 GFCI's can cause erroneous tripping if one is feed off another.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

It has been my experience that you can not use one solid state device to control another solid state device.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack .... not to nitpick but that's not quite true as a general statement though I agree with you with the sense circuits of GFCI's .
    - Rush

Canuk, You have way to much problems with what is called low current seep. Try to use a solid state relay to control another solid state relay, often times the first will not be able to turn completely off.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Canuk, You have way to much problems with what is called low current seep. Try to use a solid state relay to control another solid state relay, often times the first will not be able to turn completely off.
    Jack
    I think you are wrong Jack.

E=MC squared is involved.

I have used ss relays with little isses in the past ....... ganged in a latching configuration used in a pulsed single switch operation ........ mutliple ganged ss timer relays to name a couple.

But also remember there are plenty of digital circuits using ss devices controlling other ss devices.

Remember the old triple 5 timers used for controlling bipolars , fets , mosfets , cmos , scr , diacs , triacs

or .... solid state motor controllers

or ....... pulse width modulation

or .... modern day timers are mainly solid state

just saying
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I have used ss relays with little isses in the past ....... ganged in a latching configuration used in a pulsed single switch operation ........ mutliple ganged ss timer relays to name a couple.

But also remember there are plenty of digital circuits using ss devices controlling other ss devices.

Remember the old triple 5 timers used for controlling bipolars , fets , mosfets , cmos , scr , diacs , triacs

or .... solid state motor controllers controls motor not another solid state device

or ....... pulse width modulation

or .... modern day timers are mainly solid state controls another device not another solid state device or has mechaniscal switch contacts

just saying
    I should have specified AC control. An AC solid state relay (no mechanical contacts) will fail to completely turn off another AC input relay connected directly to its output.
    Jack

i put a gfi plug in the basement then a swich then a plug it workes great never had any issues