+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Advise: Cutting open exterior wall for new door

Hello,
    Looking for advice help with cutting open a whole in an exterior wall in order to install a new door. My project is to close one door up and install a new one on the other side of a window.

Here are images from the inside then out.

My thoughts are either to buy/rent a AllSaw AS170

or renting a concrete chain saw like these

and just cut the opening out and take it from there.

Is there anything wrong in my thinking or advise/tips you could give? I'm guessing I need to install a lintel for something like this? And should I worry about the door being so close to the corner of the house?

Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Advise: Cutting open exterior wall for new door

You can't just cut a hole in a block wall without supporting/resupporting the head area over the door. I'm not sure what the correct term is (lintle I think ) for this support structure, but I can tell you that it's necessary so that the integrity of the wall is maintained.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

AllSaw AS170

Nice sharing by all of you my friends thanks for your sharing...
    Thanks,.

Sometimes DIY isn't a good idea unless you have experience and the tools for the job. You'd probably be much better of having a contractor deal with this one as you're going to need masonry, block cutting, framing, wall finishing, and Trim Carpentry tools and skills for this project. And you positively need a lintel over the opening or the block will eventually fall even if it stays in place for now.

This can be a DIY project for an advanced DIY'er but with your asking which tool to use for a basic part of this project, I worry that this is past your abilities and I don't want you having problems later on. This is definitely an advanced level project!

Phil