+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is a chimney liner needed at all?

Thank you all for the replies.

This is an old boiler (20+ years old), made by Utica Boiler..they are still around, and if I remember correctly they said this model is about 65% efficient (maybe?). It says: A.G.A. rating: 125,000 btu/hr and Net I=B=R 78,000 btu/hr
    The water heater is 35,000 btu/hr

Jack, I guess I have almost made my mind not to get a liner (almost), that is unless I hear from someone qualified or with more experience in this subject saying I'm definitely risking my health or my wallet in the future if I don't get it now (like if the inside collapses and I have to fix the whole chimney...though I don't see how anything could collapse since they seem like solid units or blocks...(I don't know what to call them)). I appreciate any information, like what you said about getting a single-walled liner...which would probably save me more $$, but so far no one has said "Yes...get a liner or you may die!!"

Also, I just noticed that I never spelled it out, but when I say "liner" I refer to a stainless steel type, whether flex or rigid. Shaun, you mention aluminum....are those the same as the ones used in A/C ducts?

Canuk, I suppose it being an old boiler, at some point I'm going to need to replace it. Do you mean that more efficient models could have issues with my current setup? Like pilot lights being blown out as Jack mentions.

I'm not nor have I claimed to be a expert. I am basing my opinions on personal experience and the amount of money I spent on technicians, to no avail, when we installed an 80% furnace.In doing research the problem we were having was due to a chimney with to large a flue. This caused mis-fires and on cold days the WH pilot would be blown out when the power vent on the furnace would turn on. New flue liners the proper size solved the problems. In my research I found several jurisdictions that have updated and no longer allow multiple units on one flue.

I didn't take into consideration the actual equipment that you have, so I apologize for jumping the gun.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by narim View Post
    Hello,
    I purchased my 1st home last year and a few months ago I hired a company to do a cleaning of the chimney. Since I have a gas boiler they said the chimney was clean and didn't need a cleaning, but they tried to sell me on the idea of getting a chimney liner. They argued that gases could get through the tiles and/or loose tiles could fall and obstruct the chimney. This being a 50+ years old house I can see a point to what they said. I did not hire them to do it, but found DYI liner kits for a fraction of the cost (they quoted $2000, I found a kit for $600 ******). I think I could install the kit myself and save money, but I'm unsure if I really need it. I have (visually) inspected the chimney and it looks fine (no missing tiles, etc). A friend of mine that flips houses told me if the chimney is fine then I should not mess with it...but of course her view is from the point of view of someone that wants to minimize expenses and make a profit...
    I too want to minimize expenses, but if it's going to prevent tiles from caving-in or CO from getting in the house then I guess I should do it.
    Any ideas/recommendations?
    Thanks!
    Your tile lined chimney looks like it's in good shape.
    There is no need for a liner. And, as far as two appliances in one chimney, that's more than exceptable. Contact your local heating inspector, he'll tell.

With your flue size and height you can vent upto about 225,000 to 250,000 Btus. If you switch to a side vent boiler, then your flue (may) need to be lined but it would pass code here (barely).