+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Is a chimney liner needed at all?

Hello,
    I purchased my 1st home last year and a few months ago I hired a company to do a cleaning of the chimney. Since I have a gas boiler they said the chimney was clean and didn't need a cleaning, but they tried to sell me on the idea of getting a chimney liner. They argued that gases could get through the tiles and/or loose tiles could fall and obstruct the chimney. This being a 50+ years old house I can see a point to what they said. I did not hire them to do it, but found DYI liner kits for a fraction of the cost (they quoted $2000, I found a kit for $600 ******). I think I could install the kit myself and save money, but I'm unsure if I really need it. I have (visually) inspected the chimney and it looks fine (no missing tiles, etc). A friend of mine that flips houses told me if the chimney is fine then I should not mess with it...but of course her view is from the point of view of someone that wants to minimize expenses and make a profit...
    I too want to minimize expenses, but if it's going to prevent tiles from caving-in or CO from getting in the house then I guess I should do it.
    Any ideas/recommendations?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Is a chimney liner needed at all?

You don't mention the size of the chimney or the boiler flue.
    If the boiler flue is significantly smaller than the chimney you may not get enough draft for the flue gasses to clear the chimney. You will also have problems with acidic condensation on the chimney walls. You want the new liner kit to be the same diameter as the boiler flue pipe.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Dimensions:

The boiler flue is 6 in diameter.
    The chimney is 7x7 inches square.

There is also a connection for the water heater on the side of the chimney, this is 3 inches in diameter.

The total height is about 21 feet.

Is there a general rule of thumb to determine if a house needs a liner? Like "houses older than XX years should have a liner...", or does it depend on the condition or material of the chimney?

I'm attaching a picture of the inside, taken from the roof (I stuck a lamp at the bottom, through the boiler flue).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_0659_low.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	2910  

Age has little to do with it. condition of the chimney, size and flue requirements do. You should never have two flues feeding the same chimney. In the situation you have you have a 49 sq.inch chimney being feed by a 28+sq. inch and a 7 sq.inch flue. On cold days the down draft from the chimney can cause the flue gas from the boiler to be blown down the WH flue and into the house and vice versa. The proper way would be to have a 6" flue and a 3" flue go all the way up the chimney.
    Jack

By the way, these do not have to be double walled chimney linners.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 11-01-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks for the reply....

I understand what you say about 2 flues feeding into the same chimney. However they don't face each other. The smaller one (water heater) is about a foot higher and 90 degrees to the side. The heater's flue is also angled up, so I don't think hot gases would travel down that way.
    I'm by no means an expert in heating...but I believe hot air/gases would follow the path of least resistance which would be up and out...unless like you say there was a downdraft, but so far I have not seen that happen (I've tested & I also have a CO alarm in the vicinity).

I have attached a picture of the setup.

I didn't understand what you said about the liner being double-walled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_0655_low.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	2911  

It would appear you've already made up your mind so there is little point in continuing the discussion.

Double walled is a pipe inside a pipe.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Age has little to do with it. condition of the chimney, size and flue requirements do. You should never have two flues feeding the same chimney. In the situation you have you have a 49 sq.inch chimney being feed by a 28+sq. inch and a 7 sq.inch flue. On cold days the down draft from the chimney can cause the flue gas from the boiler to be blown down the WH flue and into the house and vice versa. The proper way would be to have a 6" flue and a 3" flue go all the way up the chimney.
    Jack

By the way, these do not have to be double walled chimney linners.
    No offense Jack ..... it's common to have a gas water heater and furnace tied together sharing the same flue.

In this case no one can say what the situation is for the original poster. It all depends on the total BTU's of the combustion equipment and if the flue is correctly sized ----- too small or too large and condition of the clay liner.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Canuk,
    I know it's common and it works some of the time with the old low efficient units with high volume of flue gas. Look at all the posts about pilot lights being blown out. Some times power vented units won't build up enough draft for the unit to fire. Cold air is heavier and often forces the flue gas out the other flue.

They use to build heater without pilot lights, thermal couples, and oxygen depletion sensors and they were commonly used but that didn't make them safe.

Read and of the installation manuals and it will tell you not to dump the flue into a flue already in use.
    Jack

I'm not sure we are all on the same page here. Power vented equipment shouldn't even be going in a chimney, same goes for direct vent. In some cases they could go into a chimney if not used by another gas appliance and need a pipe all the way up. Atmospheric vented equipment, like shown in the picture by the op, are o.k in a lined chimney (either clay, aluminum, or stainless). Gas appliances are not allowed in an un-lined brick & mortar chimney. So Imo you are good to go, however, I always recommend a CO detector hard-wired on every floor.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Canuk,
    I know it's common and it works some of the time with the old low efficient units with high volume of flue gas. Look at all the posts about pilot lights being blown out. Some times power vented units won't build up enough draft for the unit to fire. Cold air is heavier and often forces the flue gas out the other flue.

They use to build heater without pilot lights, thermal couples, and oxygen depletion sensors and they were commonly used but that didn't make them safe.

Read and of the installation manuals and it will tell you not to dump the flue into a flue already in use.
    Jack
    Which manuals ---- furnaces or water heaters?
    As for water heaters I haven't run across that statement , I'll admit it's been a year or two since I last read one.

Back to the OP steup ------ are you saying this is not allowed by the NFPA ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush