+ Reply to Thread

Question Moving and Wiring Main Breaker Panel

Does anyone know the NEC code for making wire splices inside the main breaker panel ?

I asked someone to move our old, outside main breaker panel to inside the home. They are turning it around, to it is accessible from inside. It also must be moved about 6 in. over for this to work. There does not seem to be enough slack in the current wiring inside the box, and I am thinking the low bidder is simply going to splice the wires that are too short. Is this legal and / or safe ? Could really use the advice - Thanks.

Default Re: Moving and Wiring Main Breaker Panel

It is pretty common to use an old panel as a splicing junction box in conjunction with a new panel replacement. As long as wire fill capacities are not exceeded you should be good to go with regard to safety and code requirements. (Doubt the wire fill capacities would be exceeded as long as the interior was removed from the old panel.)

The issue may be with the cover or “dead front” on the panel where the old breakers used to be. I have had blank covers made by a local sheet metal shop only to have an inspector fail it because it was not “listed”.

It may be worth a call to your building dept to see what they allow.

Smile Re: Moving and Wiring Main Breaker Panel

Appreciate your response...Thank you NEC.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    It is pretty common to use an old panel as a splicing junction box in conjunction with a new panel replacement. As long as wire fill capacities are not exceeded you should be good to go with regard to safety and code requirements. (Doubt the wire fill capacities would be exceeded as long as the interior was removed from the old panel.)

The issue may be with the cover or “dead front” on the panel where the old breakers used to be. I have had blank covers made by a local sheet metal shop only to have an inspector fail it because it was not “listed”.

It may be worth a call to your building dept to see what they allow.
    I would agree with the post. Luckily, one problem I never ran into, but it seems to fall in the dreaded "What the local inspector feels will fly department".
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Just tell the inspector that in this day and age of rampant identity theft, it's better safe than sorry.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!