+ Reply to Thread

Default How to remove dust from joint compound surafce without removing the joint compound

I'm using ready-mixed Ace brand joint compound, doing a thin skim coat on plasterboard walls that were paneled. There's a coat of primer over the first rough patching, but when I'm putting the next layer of joint compound on to smooth the walls more (a lot of the imperfections aren't noticeable until you have the smooth paint surface), and then sanding and wiping with a dry microfibre cloth there is still enough dust left to give me appalling adhesion problems with the topcoat (Benjamin Moore Natura). It's bubbling and peeling and when I went to wipe over the top of the (cured for one week) paint the paint starts to come off. Even spots that have two coats of topcoat over the joint compound will peel off when gently washed.

Help me! I tried wiping the dry joint compound with a wet cloth, but it takes the dust and joint compound off. A dry cloth didn't take off enough dust to let the paint stick. What should I use? A different cleaning method? Different paint? Different filler?

The walls are dry, it's not humid inside, the joint compound has cured for several days in most spots, the primer is water based and I really want to stay with water based if at all possible because I have young children.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 10-30-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Default Re: How to remove dust from joint compound surafce without removing the joint compoun

A vacuum with a soft brush head works well to remove the majority of the dust before painting. Make sure you prime the walls with a PVA or similar primer, I use two coats of Zinsser 123 (blue label ). This seals and prepares the drywall for paint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: How to remove dust from joint compound surafce without removing the joint compoun

Wild Colonial girl,

I think spruce has indicated your problem: you do not state that you spot primed your new drywall toppings. Primer is designed to wet through the dust and bond to the solid substrate, providing a solid, well sealed substrate for the paint itself. I personally feel that primer is almost more important then the paint itself. Afterall, you can only bond to and seal that dry drywall once. Even a relatively inferior paint will perform much better over a good sealer. A 100% acrylic primer will outperform the cheaper PVA primers.

[QUOTE=ordjen;66089 Primer is designed to wet through the dust and bond to the solid substrate, providing a solid, well sealed substrate for the paint itself.[/QUOTE]

Aha! I had no idea, all the articles I've been reading on painting make it seem like primer's an inferior paint that's just had all the durable-ness left out to make it cheap so it can be soaked up by the unsealed surface without wasting expensive paint. Just goes to show you always need to find out the science behind everything.

I did stop priming once we chose a wrong color topcoat, I was just using that wrong color as a tinted primer.

I'm excited that it could be this easy to remedy (I was about to say fix, but fixing it will be hideous with all the scrubbing). I am heartily sick of these walls.

Thank you