+ Reply to Thread

Default Bugs in my shop! Arrgh - they've taken over!

Hello again I guess it's been a year since I was here and asked for advice - and got some helpful replies....
    Now I have a recurrence of an old problem that I THOUGHT would go away......
    BUGS.
    first, I'm in Central Iowa - swift and extreme changes in weather from hour to hour, cold as 20 one minute, in the 50s the next, or 60s, then down to 30 by evening, etc.
    So knowing Central Iowa has some hot muggy weather, cold nasty winters and falls that are a wild mix - and plenty of bugs. This problem is small in the spring, non-existent in the summer, but so bad in the fall that the floor crunches, wood gets stained from hundreds of thousands of carcasses.
    Here's what's happening. It's a pole building, concrete floor, 2 story with a wood shop area in 2nd level. The building was insulated during construction. Outer skin, insulation, plastic, then a steel inner wall. I insulated the upper floor and put up sheetrock on the walls. The floor is plywood up there, the ceiling is insulation, but will be steel. On the first floor, it's steel ceiling and walls. 2 Windows on the WEST side. 2 12x12 insulated overhead doors on the north. No windows on the east or south. Most of the time I'm at work so the building is all closed up, windows, doors and all. but come fall, I find the west window ledges are covered literally black, about 2 layers deep with flys and lady bugs, mostly dead. Upstairs, right below the window on the north and south ends, the floor is black with bugs. The plywood has started to darken as they stain the floor after dying. I mean I can vacuum them up one day, 1/4 fill a shop vac (literally) and the next day, it's the same thing.
    If I'm home and leave an overhead door open, it's not as bad.
    This is getting crazy as downstairs they are falling into my tools, into the engines and alternators I work on, the floor crunches, it's dirty and smelly. Upstairs, it's hard to work for all the bugs that are still alive buzzing you (including a few wasps) and the flys all over, and messing up wood, getting into my saws and other tools, etc.
    How do I stop this???
    How are they getting in and why?
    In my ALL WOOD garage, there are two west windows on it, it's not insulated, but is closed or opened the same, and there are NO bug issues in that building at all! only the steel pole building, which is better sealed and insulated. The garage stays mostly bug free and I never see piles of dead bugs under the windows.
    I'm embarrassed to even post photos of the mess, makes me look like a pig.
    It STINKS when I vacuum these and I have to empty and rinse the shop vac daily!
    Fly strips? forget it! I'd be changing them daily, and they don't seem to get to the strips, they go to the windows and fall and die. (or most of them do........)
    Well insulated metal building in Iowa, flies, lady bugs, a few wasps, but mostly flies, then lady bugs, covering floors, window ledges and the floor crunches from ladybugs............
    Help!

Default Re: Bugs in my shop! Arrgh - they've taken over!

You can to an extent, treat the exterior of the bldg foundation, around door and window frames with a general type of liquid insecticide. Do this spring and fall. You will not completely stop them, but will kill a lot of them before they come in. I know it is hard to stop all insects from coming in, but any proofing you can do on the exterior is helpful.

Ideas would be "brush" type door weatherstripping, not the sissy, baby, rotting, doesn't last rubber kind. Not sure if we can name brands but I know of a superior one at minimal cost and it can be used on entry doors as well as garage doors. Email me or PM.

The usage of caulking and or expanding foam around any gaps or cracks, Cut up window screen and stuff in cracks/gaps with a putty knife. This is what I do as a service to my customers and it works, but like I said earlier, to an extent. I think if you do these things, you will be much happier, and have less insects invading you on the interior.

Post if you want more ideas or have questions.

Jerome A.

Hmmmm?

A good reason not to live in Iowa.

I do order dried beef from there time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Hmmmm?

A good reason not to live in Iowa.

I do order dried beef from there time to time.

By judging your posts...I think you'll be alright.... keep eating the beef...
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Bill, I live in northeastern Wisconsin and we experience the late summer/early fall bug infestations as well. The lady bugs you are referring to actually are NOT ladybugs at all but, some type of Japanese beetle. We mostly get them in our camper at the campground. I don't see them much here at home. I have no clue how they get there or why but, they get in the light covers and screens for the exhaust fans and then bed in piles under the counters too. They are nasty, .... they stink .... that is what is attracting the flies. I was once told to use a bug killer called Sevin but, it did no good.maybe slowed them a bit but that was it ... I don't know if there is a product that eliminates them. My understanding is they were intriduced here in the states to clear up another invasive species and became one themselves ... yep, it sux but what to do, I don't know ...

I've just realized, sorry, I thought I'd done this already ->
    Thank you all for the responses (beef is good in Iowa, corn fed!) on the bugs.
    I'm working my way around sealing things up, although it's already a pretty tight building. Some good suggestions.
    I guess I am a bit baffled as to why the brush-type weatherstripping on the doors is better than the other? These seem to hit the concrete pretty well with few gaps.

Anyway, didn't mean to seem rude, post/ask and then run off.

Hi consider applying timbor to control the bugs it mixes and applies welol in a gardern pump up weed sprayer
    Check out this web page. The company is very helpful you might call them to see about a specific bug application.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/timbor

try to use some anti cos tic material to remove them
    its the only solution