+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default Adding Transom - Carry Load Question

Question, I am replacing an existing front door with two side lights. The door is 36" x 80" with two side lights at 12". We also wanted to put in a transom that is not existing. So the new rough opening is 64 x 96 for the door. Currently above the door I have a 2x4, 2x10 (header), and 2 2x4 for the first floor, then the second floor starts with a 2x10. The interior second floor 2x10 is continual across 79, not sure about the exterior 2x10.

To install the new door, I would need to remove the 2x4, 2x10 header and the 2 2x4s. But my concern is to carry the load of the house. I am ok of installing additional 2x4s on the sides, but was trying to figure out how to carry the load. My thoughts is to use a L steel beam that is turned upwards over the 79 of the foyer, with 3 2x4s on both side to carry the load. The steel beam would be bolted into the 2x10 on the second floor.

I am calling the zoning board on Tuesday to determine what they think. But was also thinking of what others think to get the best way to carry this load.

Your thoughts would be grateful.

Thanks David L Gorman

Last edited by BeastyISNT; 10-07-2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to add notification type