+ Reply to Thread

Angry Wife in salt box house without overhang-at wit's end-help!

Husband and I (I help-not a mechanical gal) installed gutters/downspouts, vinyl, not long ago on our salt box, no overhang style older home. Ended up with troubles of water getting behind gutter and running down against siding, esp. in winter (we're in Midwest).

Well, even after he tried to "fix" by putting in boards behind top edge of siding all around the house hoping to install gutter where it belonged, the gutter is still is doing the same thing- ugh- when it rains not all goes into gutter but behind it and runs down side of house- and not in all places around house, just some.

Winter is coming and we are in Midwest- I just hate to think about icicles again down the front of my siding. Is there any way we can check WHY this is happening? Is the drip edge in wrong somehow? Or should we angle the gutter against the house? Or get rid of the backer boards?

Default Re: Wife in salt box house without overhang-at wit's end-help!

Michelle,

This is a very common problem with vinyl-type roof gutters; the vinyl isn't that rigid, doesn't hold up against the facia, & thus water trickles behind the gutter down the siding.

The fix is to use a piece of flat trim that you can slip under the first course (row) of shingles as an extension to the middle of the gutter area, so that the water continues to this point & falls in the middle of the open gutter.

You can use anything for a trim piece; many choices are sold in the big box stores in the siding or gutter sections.

Try to find a flat piece of trim 10' X 4" wide; you can even buy a piece of vinyl siding and cut it up at home to get the desired dimensions, drill some nail holes in one side and slip it under the first row of shingles.

If the shingles are fairly new, you can bend them up (carefully) and nail the trim into place; if the shingles are brittle you can set the bottom of the trim with roofing cement or caulking compound
    Last edited by Dobbs; 11-20-2009 at 03:20 PM.