+ Reply to Thread

Default Outdoor light/indoor switch not working

I purchased an old house, and at the time the outside light was not working when I switched it on. Since then, after trying without success and leaving the switch on, I have discovered the light has come on later. Replaced the indoor switch, did the same thing, thought it was the old light, replaced with a new light, still does not work, tested the wires to the switch and there is no power in them, yet no breakers trip to indicate a short(brand new breaker box recently as well), all other oulets and switches in the room work. Any ideas anybody? I have already spent a fortune on updating and fixing electrical problems in this house!!

Default Re: Outdoor light/indoor switch not working

Have you checked to see if theres a photo cell anywhere from the switch to the light.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have not, but I doubt that is a factor since I am turning the light on at night, it is not working, and then three nights later it decides to come on.

Between point A the switch. And point B the light. There is a disruption. Your mission is to find it should you choose to accept this mission………… This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds………….

Hard to tell without more info.

Could be as Gizmo said a bad PE.

I had the same thing happen where my photo cell went bad in between the switch and the light post. The photo cell was mounted to the exterior of the house.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

How many wires do you have at the switch, and how did you test for power?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Oh man, ya' gotta love old houses. This will crack you up...
    in order for the switch for the outside light to work you must have the switch for the inside light on, which is on another wall. Thank goodness the inside light is a ceiling fan and light with chain pulls, so I can keep the switch on all the time and operate the inside light that way. And thank goodness my electrician has worked on lots of old houses in our historical little town so had some good ideas for me to check out on my own at no charge. But thank you for all your ideas, I learned something new about photo cells, and thank goodness I do not have to start taking apart siding or walls to find the problem! This is a great place for people less knowledgeable, like me, to talk to people more knowledgeable, like you

Quote Originally Posted by kimberlylaine View Post
    I purchased an old house, and at the time the outside light was not working when I switched it on. Since then, after trying without success and leaving the switch on, I have discovered the light has come on later. Replaced the indoor switch, did the same thing, thought it was the old light, replaced with a new light, still does not work, tested the wires to the switch and there is no power in them, yet no breakers trip to indicate a short(brand new breaker box recently as well), all other oulets and switches in the room work. Any ideas anybody? I have already spent a fortune on updating and fixing electrical problems in this house!!
    What is the type of wiring in your old house ----- knob and tube ---- aluminium ----- copper ?

If you properly tested the line feeding the switch and have no reading then likely the connection for that feed is intermittent.
    Difficult to say where the feed comes from ---- could be from an outlet nearby. Even though the receptacle is working it could be the take off from there to the switch is faulty or loose.

Just a guess.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush