+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Risers

Exclamation Risers

I have a friend with a wood set of stairs running from ground elevation up about 14 ft to a small deck with access to a storage area above the garage. The stairs are 2/12 with good rise and run and 44inch tread with. However they were constructed with only two runners and they screwed 2/4 pices to support the step instead of cutting into the runners. This drives me CRAZY. I am trying to get him to replace the runners with new ones and use three. And I would like to see them cut properly with rise and run. He is resiting me anyone have any ammo for or aginst my argument?

Default Re: Risers

Quote Originally Posted by AGUARD View Post
    I have a friend with a wood set of stairs running from ground elevation up about 14 ft to a small deck with access to a storage area above the garage. The stairs are 2/12 with good rise and run and 44inch tread with. However they were constructed with only two runners and they screwed 2/4 pices to support the step instead of cutting into the runners.
    The way the existing treads are secured to the stringers is quite acceptable. In fact it's simpler , quicker and can be stronger than cut in stringers.

This drives me CRAZY. I am trying to get him to replace the runners with new ones and use three. And I would like to see them cut properly with rise and run. He is resiting me anyone have any ammo for or aginst my argument?
    The only thing that I would suggest is adding a third stringer ( which could be a cut in ) since there is a wide span of 44 inches. I believe this is code but aside from that the stairs probably have bounce to them now. Adding the center stinger will solve those issues.
    Also I would add a couple of screws from the outside of the stringers into each edge of the treads.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Risers

Trust me, your sanity means everything.

Volunteer to pay for and build the new stairs. This will benefit your mind……. Priceless.