+ Reply to Thread

Default Mystery - In ground light being pushed over

We had an in ground light installed to illuminate our front step years ago. This summer I found the light fixture pushed out of place. I just put it back. The second time it was really knocked over and so we enlarged the area and added cement. Yesterday, a month later, the entire fixture, heavy cement and all was pushed out of place. The fixture itself is not damaged in the least. The ground is not disturbed except for this. We had removed pacasandra from this bed early in the summer and replaced it with vinca. I still remove a few pacasandra at times but did clean out the roots carefully. We see nothing and hear nothing. In fact the street light has always illuminated the house front. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

Default Re: Mystery - In ground light being pushed over

Well, pretty obvious to me. The pacasandra is not happy about being replaced and is seeking retaliation.

Default Re: Mystery - In ground light being pushed over

Quote Originally Posted by wienerworld View Post
    We had an in ground light installed to illuminate our front step years ago. This summer I found the light fixture pushed out of place. I just put it back. The second time it was really knocked over and so we enlarged the area and added cement. Yesterday, a month later, the entire fixture, heavy cement and all was pushed out of place. The fixture itself is not damaged in the least. The ground is not disturbed except for this. We had removed pacasandra from this bed early in the summer and replaced it with vinca. I still remove a few pacasandra at times but did clean out the roots carefully. We see nothing and hear nothing. In fact the street light has always illuminated the house front. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?
    Where are you located? An area that recently experienced a hard frost(frost heave). What soil type do you have (expansive soil)?

The removed ground cover is a surface rooter, vinca isn't known for deep roots either. Tree cover overhead, water seeker? Tree roots live can be disruptive, dead decaying roots as they break down show up as depressions in the landscape.

Otherwise suspect rain run-off path from the stoop or overhang (errosion) and/or expansive soil which expands and contracts and inconsistant soil moisture. You said nothing about how this added concrete (footings or just a slab, base, depth, etc.) if done correctly, suppose could be aggrivated due to animals digging/burrowing.

Another thought - underground leak of sewer or water line (main or irrigation system) causing a sink hole.

Hard to tell what your describing (and not describing), a picture would be helpful too.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 10-28-2009 at 12:46 PM.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!