+ Reply to Thread

Question Renovating an attic into a living space

We live in a 1900 Queen Anne Victorian home in Northeast Pennsylvania. Our attic floor is insulated and it has rough hard wood floors. We would like to turn this area into a bedroom for our tween (11 year old). I need to know how to insulate and vent this before we sheet rock and lay a subfloor so that we can carpet the area. I was told to make sure that we insulate and vent so that the roof does not rot. Help is greatly appreciated.

The Great White North

Default Re: Renovating an attic into a living space

I would recommend visiting the local municipal building inspections department first they are valuable source for information. Pamphlets may be available or they would be able to explain what requirements there are for things like roof vents.

These may likely have to be cut into the roof and installed from the outside. Depending if you aren't afraid of heights and are handy enough to ensure no leaks then this might require hiring a roofer.

There may be other considerations like arc-fault electrical,an egress window for emergency, proper staircase for example. They will have the recommendations as to how much insulation is required and different types.
    It would be a good idea to research this before proceeding with your project.

Once the homework has been done you'll know what's involved and then possibly discuss an arrangement with a contractor that you will do a portion of the job. Insulation and vapor barrier can be straight forward. Drywall can be done easily with some patience though it may be difficult to get it to the attic.