+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mortise hinges

Default Mortise hinges

I have a new door which needs the hinges to be mortised. The jamb is pre-exisitng NOT a pre hung door. any suggestions beside calling a carpenter in tracing the exisiting hinges mortises on the existing jamb onto the new slab door? any help would be most welcomed

Default Re: Mortise hinges

Sure,

Mortise them yourself. Just use a square, butt the old to the new, mark and mortise.

This is a pretty easy job and only requires a few basic hand tools.

Tools: Hammer, sharp wood chisel, utility knife, combination square to install the hinges. Drill, 1" and 2-1/4" drill bits, power saw, long straight edge (at least 4" ), belt sander or orbital sander or sanding block/block plane.

It's pretty likely that you've got another door in the house that you can use as a template to locate the hinges and hardware. Measure the hinge locations on both the jamb and the door, paying special note to the depth front to back as well as the height and spacing. Transfer these measurements to your jamb and door. Before you install the hinges on the door slab you'll want to cut the slab to fit the opening. Mark the width and height, cut the slab, clean up the edges with one of the sanders or the block plane.

When installing the door, leave the jamb side hinge plates slightly loose so that you can align the door more easily. Oh, it should probably be noted that you'll pull the hinge pins, mount the halves to their respective locations, then install the door so that all you do is slip the hinge pin in and the door is done. Much easier than trying to muscle a door around while simultaneously driving screws into the hinge.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would pull the existing door and hinges. Clamp them to the new door and mark/scribe the hinge locations.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    I would pull the existing door and hinges. Clamp them to the new door and mark/scribe the hinge locations.
    That works too.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

On how to get that done, follow Aspruce's advice.

thanks so much to all who responded