+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice on Concrete Patio

Help! We'd like to install a stamped concrete patio on the back of our house. We have a mature Japanese Maple tree that has roots heaving up the very old, existing brick patio. Our intention is to have the tree removed as it hangs over onto the roof and is VERY close to the house. Also of concern is there is a gutter downspout right at that corner of our house where the patio edge will be. Although it sends water away for the house and the patio, we are wondering if, between the hole left by the tree and root removal, the dampness of the area in general, we'll be creating "perfect storm" conditions for a concrete patio disaster. Any advice? Our second choice is a wood deck so this isn't a deal breaker!

Default Re: Advice on Concrete Patio

In my opinion I wouldn't choose the concrete pad stamped or not they're not cheap. Depending where you are and how it is installed you may end up having it heave and crack.

You may consider paving stones, brick,or flagstone instead but these are not cheap either. The results can be beautiful and usually the design, colors,texture can be endless.

If you choose to go with either of these then make sure the roots of the tree are completely removed from the area.

I tend to sway toward the wood deck they will be only a portion of the cost of the other two ... depending on deck material and design. The tree roots wouldn't be as much of an issue with this decking.

Whichever system you decide on make sure the ground around the home has the proper slope for water drainage before putting in the system of choice.

Just 2 cents worth.

Default Re: Advice on Concrete Patio

With moisture problems I lean towards the concrete, though the pavers is another good idea. Wood doesn't fair well in an environment that stays wet/damp, and particularly detrimental is lack of ventilation under the deck coupled with all that moisture.

The tree and roots can be removed successfully, the key to a long lasting patio slab or pavers will be properly preparing the whole area, in particularly the area of tree and root removal. Do not leave the stump/root grindings where they lay, remove them and fill in the resultant hole with soil that will compact and settle well. Layer in the soil with compaction and water applications between layers. Once the area is leveled out, leave it for a few weeks to continue settling in on it's own. After that, you should be good to go with pouring a new slab or laying pavers. Depending on your frost line depth, you may be removing a significant portion of dirt anyway, further negating issues of tree stumps or roots.