+ Reply to Thread

Default Grout, grout and caulk or just caulk?

I messed up the joint between my tub and shower surround (didn't fill tub before I grouted and it separated).

Sooooooo, I've taken out the loose grout and I'm wondering if I should,
    A) fill the joint with grout and seal it;
    B) grout it and caulk it (I assume you shouldn't seal the grout if you're going to caulk?); or
    C) just caulk it (seems like it would take a long time to dry on the inside).

Any advice?

Default Re: Grout, grout and caulk or just caulk?

Best to just caulk it. If you can get away with a color that comes in 100% silicone and you can do it neat, that's the best. If you need to match a particular color most grout companies sell an silicon/latex color matched caulking that also allows water clean up. My opinion.

just caulk it. if you try to grout it, it will just crack again. and you don't want to grout than caulk because you want a thick bead of caulk and if it is caulked over grout it will be a thin bead that will pull loose very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by casalarisa View Post
    I messed up the joint between my tub and shower surround (didn't fill tub before I grouted and it separated).

Sooooooo, I've taken out the loose grout and I'm wondering if I should,
    A) fill the joint with grout and seal it;
    B) grout it and caulk it (I assume you shouldn't seal the grout if you're going to caulk?); or
    C) just caulk it (seems like it would take a long time to dry on the inside).

Any advice?
    The area between the tub and walls should NEVER be grouted. Use a color matched sanded caulk made for tile.
    I also use the same caulk for all my inside corners.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

My husband just used some sanded caulk in our bathroom, between the tub and a closet. He used Laticrete Color Matched Sanded Caulk, it was under $10 a tube. I think this is your best option. Good luck, I am sure it will look great!
    _______
    Find plumbing companies in your area.