+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: 3 way switch multiple lights

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Once the traveler is energized it is a return. The second three way is a mute point.
    And yet you agreed that "1 diagram says use 12/2 from the panel to the first switch, 12/3 from switch to first light, 2 - 12/2 cables from first light to each additional, then 12/3 from last light to last 3 way switch." Show me how you can connect without using a remarked white wire.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

??? We are here for three ways?

I did not think this was that kind of site. Sorry my friend but I like females and if it is like ordering at McDonalds I'll take two blondes no older than 25. You get a happy meal and a small shake.
    You two must be single. SHMBO won't allow that in this house.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    And yet you agreed that "1 diagram says use 12/2 from the panel to the first switch, 12/3 from switch to first light, 2 - 12/2 cables from first light to each additional, then 12/3 from last light to last 3 way switch." Show me how you can connect without using a remarked white wire.
    Jack
    You just buy 12-2 as black and red.
    Last edited by NEC; 10-29-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Ya got me Jack.

Here is a three way we used to do a lot. Same problem on a reidenified white but you did not need any three wire and it afforded a hot and neutral at both switches.

Hey Jack,

You might find this thread interesting.

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/f...?TOPIC_ID=7380
    Last edited by NEC; 10-30-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Hey Jack,

You might find this thread interesting.

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/f...?TOPIC_ID=7380
    Interesting, they are arguing that it can be used as a supply or return but only needs to be re-identified if it is return. As I read NEC it says that white can be used as a supply but not as a return and needs to be re-identified. I can't imagine NEC allowing white to be used in any case other than a grounded conductor unless it is re-identified.
    Jack

Actually this thread really perked my interest in that thread. So, I did more homework and dug out an old code book. In fact the way the 2008 NEC is worded makes it a really cloudy subject.

I am an NFPA member and I am going to request a change to the article. It really needs to be clarified.

Oh, My post is on that thread. I am the member with long ears.

One thing that should probably be added is a definition of a return. I have always understood it to be the wire that is terminated at the device that the grounded conductor is connected t, such as a light or outlet. I believe the meaning of the code is to install wiring so you will always end up with a black hot wire and white grounded wire connected to 120 vac devices such as lights and outlets.

If it's that confusing for those of us that work or have worked with electricity all the time just imagine what a headache it must be for novices like inspectors.
    Jack

Oh, let me know if they make a change. Since I'm retired I don't always keep up.
    Jack