+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3 way switch multiple lights

Soooo NEC are you saying it is like Jack's diagram except the power for the lights comes through the 2nd switch? I'm just trying to simplify it yet do it properly. I'm trying not to confuse myself here

Jerome A.

The white wire from the second switch that is connected to the black wire from switch 1 needs to be permanently marked to indicate it is not a grounded conductor. This can be done with a permanent marker, heat shrink tubing, or label. It must be done on both ends. See NEC 200.7 (c) (2) below.
    Jack
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

But it must be the supply and not a return or a switch leg which is a return.

That means it can only be used for the hot suppling a switch.

Wanna argue the NEC? Game on my friend.

Hit me with the code when you get a chance. As I read it the white and red wires are the supplies to switch 2.

And explain to me how you would wire up 2 3-ways and a light if the power is to the light box rather than the switch without using the remarked white on one as a travelers.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Hit me with the code when you get a chance. As I read it the white and red wires are the supplies to switch 2.

And explain to me how you would wire up 2 3-ways and a light if the power is to the light box rather than the switch without using the remarked white on one as a travelers.
    Jack

"Hit me with the code when you get a chance. As I read it the white and red wires are the supplies to switch 2."

You gave the code.

At that point they become switch legs and are switched on and off. Returns.

"And explain to me how you would wire up 2 3-ways and a light if the power is to the light box rather than the switch without using the remarked white on one as a travelers."
    Jack

Just idenify the white as a hot to the three way. Reidentify the hot to the second three way.
    Last edited by NEC; 10-27-2009 at 07:15 PM.

"Just idenify the white as a hot to the three way. Reidentify the hot to the second three way. "

I don't think so that would end up with 2 white wires going to the light and I believe that is a no-no. The hot goes to switch 1 and the common on switch 2 is a return not a hot supply.
    Jack

Jerome confused yet?

a picture is worth a thousand words ........... here's a couple of other illustrations
    http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...ch-option7.htm

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...ch-option3.htm
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If you will notice in both the drawings Canuk supplied the remarked white is connected to the black traveler form switch one and is a traveler to switch 2 just as in my drawing.

It also says "Tip: The traveller wire is connected in the light ceiling boxes, with a length of neutral wire taped black to indicate a hot wire. "
    Jack

Your own link to code is what it is. Reidentify as a hot or fail code compliance.