+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Default Re: 3 way switch multiple lights

How does the NEC identify or define " travellers " used in this case ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    How does the NEC identify or define " travellers " used in this case ?
    That's part of the problem, travelers are not specifically defined but possibly implied in references to switch loops. If "return" was properly defined and using the re-identified white anywhere except as a return there would be no misunderstanding. You can read NEC 2008 200.7 every day and come up with a different interpretation based primarily on your previous experience and learned definitions. I think that if well established in this thread.

My understanding of not using a white or re-identified white to terminate at a device is to protect consumers who may want to replace there own light or outlet and only know that black is hot and white is neutral.

If you read the thread NEC supplied you can see additional confusion that suggests that a white wire can be used as a hot and not be re-identified in certain circumstances. This goes against all safety logic as far as I'm concerned and posies danger to consumers.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The National Electric Code has always had to much ambiguity in it. I spent to much of my working life arguing with state inspectors what the code means, what the differences are between panel wiring requirement and house wire, and trying to explain the requirements to compensate for voltage drops aren't the same as panel wiring requirements.
    Jack.

Yup, I think that the way that code article was written prior to the 1999 revision was pretty clear. The way it is written now is pretty ambiguous and the intent has been removed and/or made it very unclear.

Jack is 100% correct in that the NEC does not define travelers or returns.

I am going to request a change to that article. To me it should read that a re-identified white in a cable assembly can be used as a hot regardless, as long as it is re-identified.

This has been a great thread in my mind and sorry to the OP for taking it off track a bit.

just reading your guys posts gives me a headache. I will stick to "selling rocks" maybe expand into selling granite ice cubes or something

***, 65 posts and no one got mad or over wrought. It's amazing how much better discussions go when there is no troll involved.

I have a feeling this will be an issue for quite a while. The 2008 NEC has 13 pages of definitions but fails to include some of the most commonly used terms.

Jack

***, 65 posts and no one got mad or over wrought. It's amazing how much better discussions go when there is no troll involved.
    Thinking the same thing.

Boogly Boogly Boooo........
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Oh.............

Well we can change that.

........ #@%$&(^) !!!!!!!

Happy Halloween
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	witch_with_pumpkin_in_moon_16200_16201_bonnies_boardwalk_originals_markley_440.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	2906  

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    I will stick to "selling rocks"
    Isnt that a quote from a rap song? I dunno, I could be wrong...
    Help us name our new Hidden Content