+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3 way switch multiple lights

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    .. the two travelers are considered hot to the switch on the right...............
    Jack?...... That is a stretch.

sometimes its nice not to be an electrician. (nor do I play one on television)

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    sometimes its nice not to be an electrician. (nor do I play one on television)
    Not all of us are smart enough to know how to convince people to buy rocks from us. So, gotta do something.

Question Re: 3 way switch multiple lights

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post

The white to the switch on the right can not go to the "C" terminal because it is the return.
    Jack
    One of those travelers will always be a return tho, thereby not meeting the requirements of 200.7C2

Jack I understand what your saying clearly, but as long as that assembly can be considered a switchloop you cant use a reidentified conductor for a return. No matter which position either switch is in one of those travelers will be a return. So for the same reason you cant put the white to C you cant use it as a traveler.

I did find in the nfpa 70 illustrations 200.7C2 in the summary of changes illustration explanation, the sentance..

"Previous editions of the code permitted switch loops using a white insulated conductor to serve as an ungrounded conductor supplying the switch but not as the return ungrounded conductor to supply the lighting outlet."

This leads me to beleive there was a recent change to the verbage here to prevent exactly what we are discussing (reidentifying a whie wire to use as a traveler)

So I guess I'm digging through some boxes for th 05 illustrations...

go phillies !!!!!!
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

05 illustrations are moot makes a pre 99 change reference.

Quote:No matter which position either switch is in one of those travelers will be a return

No, One traveler will be dead the other the supply. A dead lead is not a return. The only return is the wire connected to the "C" Terminal one switch 2.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yea Jack, your right, it is a supply. making it as you said a legal instalation.

I wasnt viewing it that way because the purpose of the 200.7C2 requirement is to make sure the reidentified wire is the one that stays hot I suppose to avoid confusion ironically. Since its being switched (or transferred I should say) I was classifying it as a return.

So being wrong this time makes me wrong last time about being wrong twice, I was only wrong once the first time tho I was wrong because I was only right once. Whats the score again?

I think I'll refer back to the code being a minimum standard again and continue to use the methods I currently use.(putting the reidentified white on the common that is a supply) Tho I stand corrected.

now I'm going to watch the phills beat up on the yankees for a while

Maybe we should just order 4 cond. cable
    ack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Good discussion

I guess this is why I still refer to schematics to analyze things like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Good discussion

I guess this is why I still refer to schematics to analyze things like this
    Canuk,
    Thats the best schematic I ever saw, curious tho, is that written on a napkin?